56B. Another ?wheatstone? At Auction 03 Feb. Plymouth Uk.

Anglogeezer

For auction on 03 February at PLYMOUTH AUCTION ROOMS.

359 Faraday Mill Trade Park

Cattewater Road
Catedown
Plymouth
Devon
PL4 0SE

Lot 107 : A concertina possibly Wheatstone, burr walnut case inlaid with gilt decoration and further decoration to the bellows, 56 keys in total with a burr walnut travel box.
Estimate : £300/£400

Here :http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/plymouth-auction-rooms/catalogue-id-srpl10040/lot-43e073fa-9439-4cc4-970b-a59c00ab0500

Only the right hand pictured which shows an extra button in front of the thumb strap.

Jake

It's an amboyna wood Lachenal Non-Pareil with its original matching case.

Glass buttons were an optional extra, as were 56 keys, but the extra right-hand button (shown) is intriguing - it may simply be a wind key, but the location is unusual for that and I'd suspect there may be another one in the matching place on the other side - in which case they'll probably be a bird-whistle and squeaker like I once saw located similarly on a Lachenal Edeophone English.

Yes, beautiful - however I wouldn't have imagined the amboyna veneer to be rubbed off that easily as to be seen beside the broken thumb strap (apparently from a player with a technique of holding the instrument similar to mine: wide opened straps with the thump tips occasionally pressing against the surface - good that ebonized pearwood appears to be more forgiving...),

Best wishes - Wolf