Anglos And Bellows Capacity

Rod

When an Anglo with standard six-fold bellows is played solo, in harmonic style, incorporating frequent two, three and even perhaps four-note accompanying chords, fully effective bellows techniques and air control can, on occasions become major challenges.

In theory it might be expected that seven-fold, eight-fold, ( or more ) bellows might make life easier in this respect but I have always suspected that this would not necessarily be true in practice ?

In theory it might be expected that seven-fold, eight-fold, ( or more ) bellows might make life easier in this respect but I have always suspected that this would not necessarily be true in practice ?

Many (most?) of the post-WWII Wheatstone Anglos that were shipped to South Africa had extended bellows, and my understanding has been that this was to accommodate the rich harmonies of Boeremusiek. My own Wheatstone, made in 1953, has eight folds. I believe the bellows was replaced later, but to original specs.

It does make a difference. I can be a bit more slapdash about chording on this instrument, since there's almost always air to spare. But my playing is so conditioned by the limitations of my other concertina, a Lachenal with the more typical six folds (I like being able to use the two interchangeably), that I probably don't take full advantage of the increased air capacity. Of course, I don't play Boeremusiek--though I wish I could!

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Edited by Bob Michel

I have thought on this one quite a bit and play a 7 fold concertina.

Another factor at play is how deep the folds are, a deeper fold can make the bellows hold considerably more air (within reason) I have owned 2 anglos with 7 folds each, one (an edgley) has deeper folds than are found on most 19th or early 20th century instruments the other had folds of a similar deapth as would be found on your typical lachenal for example. I found it much much easier to play harmonic style on the edgley.

My advice is that if you want to play in this style 7 folds is best (never tried 8, I don't know how that would be), yes you can do it with 6 or 5 folds if you develop ways of working around this limitation but why would you when you have the option of a more appropriate design?