Concertina Accordion Piano Concertina Something Close?

Is there an instrument that plays like a piano accordion but much smaller like a Concertina? Normal piano key side or buttons with normal keys and sharps and base buttons on the left. Looking for the tiny accordion. Chromatic, email ron222@embarqmail.com Thanks Ron

Is there an instrument that plays like a piano accordion but much smaller like a Concertina? Normal piano key side or buttons with normal keys and sharps and base buttons on the left. Looking for the tiny accordion. Chromatic, email ron222@embarqmail.com Thanks Ron

Depends on how small and what you consider to be "chromatic". A 12-bass PA has a fully chromatic though limited right-hand range and the bass doesn't have all the chords or even keys of a 120-bass, but I've heard a Polish friend do much more with one than I would have expected.

There aren't accordions of that type as small as a concertina. The smallest are not quite that small, and have a limited range. If you can stand having only 20 treble-side notes and are willing to learn the CBA layout, Google the Pigini Simba. Also, you can go on Youtube and keyword in "Pigini Simba" for a look at one. They are supposedly made for the young learner market, but have the reed and voice quality of a "real" grownup accordion, if you can live with the limited range. That aside, what you are thinking of doesn't really exist. There is the Accordina, but it is a different beast.

Otherwise, you need to learn EC and acquire a "hybrid"---high-quality concertina with accordion reeds. A Tenor EC will give you at least up to "High C," and as low as the C below "Middle C." I have the Tenor EC "Geordie" model made by the Button Box in Massachusetts, with an upgrade to tipo-a-mano (aka "Hand-finished") accordion reeds, and love it. I play piano-accordion music on it including French Musette and Tango, and it sounds great. Obviously not the lung power of a piano accordion but quite loud in a quiet room with good acoustics.

There is also the option of a Hayden duet concertina with accordion reeds, like the "Beaumont" model made by Button Box. I find EC faster and more fluid, but MMV.

There is a gentleman whose cnet moniker is something like "Tona" who has a custom Dipper duet that I believe has accordion reeds (OK, I'm not 100% on that). It is like a duet on the right-hand treble side, but has piano accordion-ish basses on the left-hand side---single notes and chords. Not all 12 chromatic bass tones, don't know which ones it has. You can keyword clips of him and his instrument on youtube under "Thomas Restoin Gymnopedie " to see some delicioso Erik Satie.

Edited by ceemonster

There aren't accordions of that type as small as a concertina. The smallest are not quite that small, and have a limited range. If you can stand having only 20 treble-side notes and are willing to learn the CBA layout, Google the Pigini Simba. Also, you can go on Youtube and keyword in "Pigini Simba" for a look at one. They are supposedly made for the young learner market, but have the reed and voice quality of a "real" grownup accordion, if you can live with the limited range. That aside, what you are thinking of doesn't really exist. There is the Accordina, but it is a different beast.

Otherwise, you need to learn EC and acquire a "hybrid"---high-quality concertina with accordion reeds. A Tenor EC will give you at least up to "High C," and as low as the C below "Middle C." I have the Tenor EC "Geordie" model made by the Button Box in Massachusetts, with an upgrade to tipo-a-mano (aka "Hand-finished") accordion reeds, and love it. I play piano-accordion music on it including French Musette and Tango, and it sounds great. Obviously not the lung power of a piano accordion but quite loud in a quiet room with good acoustics.

There is also the option of a Hayden duet concertina with accordion reeds, like the "Beaumont" model made by Button Box. I find EC faster and more fluid, but MMV.

There is a gentleman whose cnet moniker is something like "Tona" who has a custom Dipper duet that I believe has accordion reeds (OK, I'm not 100% on that). It is like a duet on the right-hand treble side, but has piano accordion-ish basses on the left-hand side---single notes and chords. Not all 12 chromatic bass tones, don't know which ones it has. You can keyword clips of him and his instrument on youtube under "Thomas Restoin Gymnopedie " to see some delicioso Erik Satie.

Thanks for all that info. I will keep this in mind. Maybe a student level accordion. Ron

There are single-reed piano accordions out there, but to get more than like 12 notes, you'd have to go up to about 10 pounds. But that is really light for a PA. The Pigini Peter Pan, PA version, is an example. There is one demo'd on youtube, keyword "Pigini Peter Pan Piano Converter."

There are single-reed piano accordions out there, but to get more than like 12 notes, you'd have to go up to about 10 pounds. But that is really light for a PA. The Pigini Peter Pan, PA version, is an example. There is one demo'd on youtube, keyword "Pigini Peter Pan Piano Converter."

That looks like a big accordion. Its only 10 pounds? Ron