Classical Work For Duet Concertina And Piano

All, I have posted a recording of the premiere performance of a work composed especially for the 2015 Full of Noises festival of experimental music in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, hosted by the Octopus Collective.

https://lachenaliamusic.bandcamp.com/album/billy-again

The unlikely combined starting points for "Billy Again" are Karlheinz Stockhausen's beautiful Tierkreis, and the Cotswold Morris dance tune Constant Billy.

Like Tierkreis, Billy Again is in 12 movements, each centred around a different pitch of the chromatic scale. They may be played in any systematic order. This performance starts with the B flat movement and ascends chromatically by step to A.

All melodic material is derived from different versions of Constant Billy.

A studio recording and performing score will follow -- please do get in touch if you would like to see the dots. It's technically pretty straightforward and should also work on a large English.

I've just listened through and I think I haven't yet heard a more compelling argument for art music on the duet. Very nice arranging and interplay between the piano and the concertina. Also, the chromatic flexibility of the duet is clear. One could certainly do something like this on a big Anglo, but it would be a strain in certain keys, with bellows reversals necessitated that would break up the legato flow of the lines. How many buttons are there on the instrument you used here?

Looking forward to the studio recording, and I would not mind seeing the dots, either ..

Best!

steven

Thanks Steven, I really appreciate your interest and feedback.

I think the greatest challenge even on a large anglo would be some of the clustery chords where multiple semitones are piled on top of each other. I played this on my Jeffries system duet, which is a 55-key with an overlap of a minor 7th from middle C to the Bb above.

Please PM me your email address and I'll get the score to you.