Bach On Anglo

Very nicely done! I look forward to the D minor Chaconne ;)

Remember Juliette Daum? She hasn't posted here in several years, but here's her Bach D minor Chaconne on English Concertina.

Again, unfortunately not in Germany (possibly Europe in general) - pity as I'd love to hear that one...

Best wishes - Wolf

Remember Juliette Daum? She hasn't posted here in several years, but here's her Bach D minor Chaconne on English Concertina.

Again, unfortunately not in Germany (possibly Europe in general) - pity as I'd love to hear that one...

Strange. I also get "not available", though all her other YouTube videos that I tried played with no problem. And as far as I know, she's still living in England, not America, so I think it's odd if America can view it but Europe can't.

But the Chaconne is on her 2011 "CD" (apparently downloadable only; priced at $12.99, or maybe £10) at CD Baby. The single piece is downloadable for $1.99, and you can listen to a brief excerpt on her CD Baby page, which is here.

But the Chaconne is on her 2011 "CD" (apparently downloadable only; priced at $12.99, or maybe £10) at CD Baby. The single piece is downloadable for $1.99, and you can listen to a brief excerpt on her CD Baby page, which is here.

Thank you Jim, and I found it on Amazon too now - will try the bits and then probably download either the Chaconne or the entire package... (albeit I'd rather like to have the "physical" CD).

...will try the bits and then probably download either the Chaconne or the entire package... (albeit I'd rather like to have the "physical" CD).

You could burn one for "backup", no? :unsure:

So you're "unsure" about that, Jim? :o

:unsure: as to what this is telling about myself...

However - a backup CD doesn't do it for me, :unsure: why...

Positively best wishes - Wolf ​

Very nicely done! I look forward to the D minor Chaconne ;)

This is absolutely stunning. Thanks so much for sharing.

Juliette is a fantastic musician, isn't she?

That's out of question, and I'm absolutely enjoying her CD!

However IMO the Chaconne recording, while really sweet, isn't entirely successful (maybe couldn't have been so) as the harmonic complement (which may very well be entirely in the dots) is sort of overpowering when not played in bowed arpeggio style, and OTOH the melody at the very top of those rapidly broken chords isn't coming through either.

I reckon this is not Juliette's fault but just due to limitations of our beloved little instrument as it is providing absolutely no decay or after-release-tone..., leaving you the choice of spreading the harmony to a much greater extent at full volume (which maybe was the right way to go here) or rather missing it by just shortly touching the keys...

The Cello suites might be better-suited to the concertina in general as the use of notes sounding simultaneously is more restricted here AFAIR (let alone the flute suites where this is of course no issue at all and the beauty of single-line harmony can be explored just like that with any given instrument).

However, lovely music it is anyway...

Best wishes - Wolf

P.S.: I once tried the prelude of the first cello suite which I dearly love with the EC (using a transcription for the violin) but soon quit it because I was missing the subtile consonance of the strings...

Edited by blue eyed sailor

• 8 years later...

GM, thanks for posting to this thread.  Your performances are always well done, varied, interesting, and, not least, educational.  

I am also grateful because this thread enabled me to locate the Juliette Daum performance of the famous Bach Chaconne in D minor.  This chaconne is the alpha and omega of Western music.  I have many recordings of this work in many arrangements, the silliest being a Doc Severinsen excerpt for trumpet ... and the most divine a 1970's LP of Kyung Wha Chung performing the entire Partita #2. Now I have this arrangement for English concertina.  There is no way to disagree with Wolf's assessment (just preceding your post) of the recording but, nevertheless, it is always a delight to hear the intricacies of Bach counterpoint regardless of the deficiencies or enhancements of a given instrument or ensemble. 

The same may be said for your performance of BWV 1013.  Though the piece consists only a horizontal melody on the surface, there are yet multiple voices that create a harmonically rich experience.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Thank you, Mandojoe for your flattering words. The truth is that this last recording of mine is pretty bad, but I don't mind. I struggle with Chemnitzer button layout. I will post another recording of the same piece in next days- played on a regular wheatstone concertina, which is much easier. Bach is a the true and one god of music. Simply divine.

Edited by Gregor Markič