Wallis (and Gromit?)

PhilMeyers

I bought my Anglo concertina several years ago from the Button Box as a Lachenal, but the name on it is "J. Wallis & Son, 133 & 135 Euston Rd N.W., London," serial number in the 38,000's, rosewood ends 32 buttons. I'm not complaining; it's a very sweet sounding and playing instrument, though I will probably be selling it fairly soon as I've got a Dipper nearing completion (or so they say). Question is: How do I know it's a Lachenal? Frankly, I've seen some Lachenals at the NHICS and this seems to be better finished. Any ideas?

Ach, I can never remember the name. The bit of wood on the end, the cross-bar the strap attaches to. On a Lachenal, even a badge-engineered one (of which there are many examples) there will be the outline of a reed and the words "English Make". The quality of the finish is not a diagnostic, I've seen some very nice Laches around. They could make good concertinas when they wanted to.

Another diagnostic, if the action is not rivetted but of the "hook and loop" type, it's probably a Lachenal.

Chris

Virtually all the J. Wallis concertinas I have seen were made by Lachenal's, though I think I have seen the odd one by George Jones. The serial number of yours sounds like a Lachenal one, but it would be too early to have the Lachenal Trade Mark impressed into the rail (or handle) as Chris suggests. Additionally, if the Button Box said it was a Lachenal then I expect it is. I wouldn't worry about others you have seen, Lachenal's made many different grades of concertina, from beginner's to professional.

By the way, the partnership with Grommit, as "Wallis, Grommit & Co.", came much later. :rolleyes:

At what time did they start using the reed trade mark on the rail, Stephen?

Chris,

To quote my article in PICA (though I haven't seen it myself yet) :

Lachenal & Co. applied for its trademark, No. 15,222, on 31st August 1878, and it was published in the Trade Marks Journal on 8th January 1879. The mark consists of a drawing of an individual, double-screwed, English-style free reed. The outline of this device, along with the words ‘Trade Mark’ and ‘English Make’, was thereafter stamped into the right-hand rail (handle) of the firm’s Anglos in order to differentiate them from the cheap ‘imitation Anglos’ of German make—with ten reeds riveted onto each plate, wooden actions with glued-on buttons, and cardboard bellows—(see Fig. 8) that were being marketed in large numbers, and being built, at least externally, to resemble instruments made in England and thus deceive the unwary buyer.

Edited to add photograph of a German "imitation anglo" (Fig. 8) in the style of George Jones :

post-9-1103909238.jpg

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I answered a similar question over the phone a few weeks ago, so can add a few details:

Joseph Wallis is listed at 133 & 135 Euston Rd from 1867 onwards (Union St before), and was J.Wallis & Sons from 1887.

The first Lachenal trademarks to be seen are around serial number (anglo) 47000, so the label here seems be of a later date than the instrument.

Edited by wes williams

Thanks for the very useful info, everyone. A couple of technical questions:

•What does "badge-engineered" mean?

• I think I do have a "hook and loop" type action, but what would a rivetted action look like?

Thanks for the very useful info, everyone. A couple of technical questions:

•What does "badge-engineered" mean?

• I think I do have a "hook and loop" type action, but what would a rivetted action look like?

Badge-engineering got its start in computers, and means one company making a computer for another company, who then sold it under their own brand. It's a useful term for something that happened all the time with 19th c concertinas.

If you look at this set of pictures of my Dipper baritone, the last one shows the action clearly, and you can see the rivet that acts as the fulcrum of the lever.

Chris

Badge-engineering got its start in computers

Actually, I think the term originated rather earlier than that, in the automotive industry where it is still extensively practised. But Lachenal's were doing it on a large scale long before anybody dreamt up that name for it.

Speaking of the car industry, I was somewhat amused by this Wallace & Gromit item on eBay :

Wallace & Gromit In-Car Sun Shield ... It has a concertina action and packs away neatly into its box when not in use.

Rivetted or "hook and eye" I wonder ? :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
Virtually all the J. Wallis concertinas I have seen were made by Lachenal's, though I think I have seen the odd one by George Jones.

And here is an example of a George Jones one, labelled “J. Wallis' Patent Concertina, 135, Euston Road, N.W. London.” that has just turned up on eBay :

post-436-1105419162_thumb.jpg

post-436-1105474613_thumb.jpg