What Is Liam Playing?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, though it's an octagonal concertina, it was made by Harry Crabb and not by Wheatstone's, so technically it can't be an Aeola because that is a still-active trade mark of C. Wheatstone & Co. -_-

Thanks. It's certainly a joy to listen to. What's the significance of the number of sides?

Wendy, As you say that you have not as yet ' laid a finger on a concertina ' I suggest that in the first instance you get hold of the cheapest functional instrument you can find, in the knowledge that you can always use it as no more than a stepping stone to something far better. That is how I got started. Initially there is no alternative to a bit of simple hands-on experience, however basic.

What's the significance of the number of sides?

Everything and nothing, depending on exactly what the instrument is, and there's a lot of complicated history to it.

But, keeping it brief and simple, in the 1890s Wheatstone's then owner, Edward Chidley snr., introduced a new "artistic" model of concertina (that was still hexagonal in shape) with a sweet tone that he named the Aeola and, following his death, his son redesigned the Aeola in the early 1900s, making it octagonal in shape and considerably louder.. Those later, octagonal, Aeolas are the instrument of choice for many of us.

Careful, Wendy! Sounds like you have an innate susceptibility to the dreaded Concertina Acquisition Syndrome!

Of course, three concertinas are better than one, but it might be better just to start with one system. Either you'll be quite satisfied with it, or when you get to a more advanced stage, you may miss something that a different system could give you. That depends a bit on what kind of music you make, and who you play with.

And as to playing with others vs. playing what's in your head by yourself - basically, that's more a matter of your developing technique than any limitations of the instrument. I'm not an EC player, but I believe the Jackie has the range that more expensive instruments have, just with some of the doubled notes only available once. A new hybrid or vintage instrument will just sound better.

It's a good sign that you have music in your head. If you've got that, there'll be no stopping you when you finally get your hands on a concertina of any system!

Cheers,

John

I can imagine, though, eventually wanting to play with other people and/or playing from notation or tablature -- in which case I'd want an instrument with a greater range than what I might need simply playing the tunes I have in my head.

Then again, maybe what I really want is a duet. :unsure: Better yet, one of everything.

Edited by Anglo-Irishman

Having not yet so much as laid a finger on a concertina....

Well, why not? ;)

Where in the Pacific Northwest are you? Quite likely there are concertina players near enough for you to meet up and have a try and discussion. (Then you can come back here for discussion of your discussion. :))

Having not yet so much as laid a finger on a concertina....

Well, why not? ;)

Where in the Pacific Northwest are you? Quite likely there are concertina players near enough for you to meet up and have a try and discussion. (Then you can come back here for discussion of your discussion. :))

The only "why not" is simply that there are so many options and I'm dithering while my better (practical) and worse (extravagant) angels duke it out. I'm in the greater Portland/Seattle metropolitan area -- lots of concertinas and concertina players around, but again I'm just dithering. Talking to people online has been an easy first step.

(Hvor i Danmark er du? Jeg bodde i Oslo i fire fantastiske år for omtrent [herregud] tjue år siden.)

Careful, Wendy! Sounds like you have an innate susceptibility to the dreaded Concertina Acquisition Syndrome!

Ha. What, me? No, never. Impossible. (She said, casting a guilty eye over her dozen or so flutes, recorders and whistles.)

What's the significance of the number of sides?

Everything and nothing, depending on exactly what the instrument is, and there's a lot of complicated history to it.

But, keeping it brief and simple, in the 1890s Wheatstone's then owner, Edward Chidley snr., introduced a new "artistic" model of concertina (that was still hexagonal in shape) with a sweet tone that he named the Aeola and, following his death, his son redesigned the Aeola in the early 1900s, making it octagonal in shape and considerably louder.. Those later, octagonal, Aeolas are the instrument of choice for many of us.

Thanks. Suppose I specifically want a relatively quiet instrument (so as not to rile the neighbors too much, at least not until I can actually play) -- any recommendations? Would a relatively quiet concertina be more prone to "skipping" notes? (From watching youtube videos it seems sometimes players press a button without actually producing a sound.)

Also can you recommend any books? Is there anything that's considered "required reading" in terms of history and development?

Also can you recommend any books? Is there anything that's considered "required reading" in terms of history and development?

Allan Atlas's "Contemplating the Concertina" might be what you're looking for. It and other more beginner-oriented books are available at the Button Box. Allan, by the way, is an occasional contributor to these forums.

OK, another request: could someone please post a link or two that show pretty much the maximum polyphonic potential for an EC? Thanks.

Here are a few players who are pushing the limits of polyphony on the EC.

Randy Stein - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtTs16D_qTo

Danny Chapman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1VW2HEZzbs

Dick LaVine - http://jodykruskal.com/player_profile/dick-lavine.html

OK, another request: could someone please post a link or two that show pretty much the maximum polyphonic potential for an EC? Thanks.

Here are a few players who are pushing the limits of polyphony on the EC.

Randy Stein - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtTs16D_qTo

Danny Chapman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1VW2HEZzbs

Dick LaVine - http://jodykruskal.com/player_profile/dick-lavine.html

Holy cow! Danny Chapman's "Rat in the Bed" is terrific! Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Houston, we have a concertina!

Thank you all for your input and encouragement. I am now the proud and happy mom of a bouncing baby 37-key Morse & Co. Albion English concertina. Alas, my initial efforts at learning to play are slightly hampered by a recent and grievous kale-related injury to the tip of my left index finger. Hopefully all the dark leafy greens I've consumed over the course of my life will pay some dividends now in terms of rapid healing.

I'm setting about the task of learning to play my little Alby very methodically with books and vids, but since my fingers keep finding random snippets of "Farther Along" (AKA "If You Were To Wake Up" by Lyle Lovett), I'm also working on that by ear -- simple tune, easy harmonies, and gorgeous on the concertina even when played by a sore-fingered absolute beginner who can't name the chords she's playing.

Why did I wait so long?

• 7 years later...
On 11/27/2015 at 7:21 PM, JimLucas said:

I believe I count seven bellows folds, which would also indicate a tenor-treble.

My treble Aeola has a seven-fold bellows, and my tenor-treble Aeola has a six-fold bellows.  If you think about it, the larger the diameter of the bellows, the fewer bellows folds you need to move the same amount of air.  And that seems to be borne out by the few miniature concertinas I've seen.  They always seem to have more folds than a normal sized concertina.

WSTONEMIN2.jpg