Looking For Opinions On This Stagi Case

I am looking for a case for a largish concertina that I just bought.

It came with a case, but I cannot believe that the instrument managed to survive its case and I feel that I urgently need to find it better lodgings.

I might try making a case for it later, but it needs a lot of other work first.

It is a 7" concertina and I am thinking of getting this cheap case from Liberty Bellows:

Stagi Hard Case for Concertina, Interior Dimensions 10"x8"x8"

I know it is ugly, but it is big enough even for some additional padding and for some blocking.

Any opinions?

Don.

I know it is ugly, but it is big enough even for some additional padding and for some blocking.

Any opinions?

I have one - Barleycorn provided it with my Jeffries Anglo.

It's an OK case. But the plastic handle seems a little flimsy, and there's no provision for a shoulder strap.

Which is why I had Greg Jowaisis build me one of his fine cases. I also have a Fallon case - which I believe Frank Edgley now makes - and it's also excellent.

If you're looking for an expensive case, the Stagi will work fine. If you're serious about protecting the concertina, I recommend Greg's.

I have one of these in which my large Edeophone lives. I don't generally take this box out of the house, so it works fine for this 'need'.

I purchased another such case last year on line, when it arrived some of the plastic external covering was peeling away and on closer inspection some of the lining panels were rather loose. I sent it back and got a refund, but it does suggest the quality assurance processes at the Stagi factory aren't too hot, or perhaps some of the glues/materials they are using aren't the best.

One other thing that bothers me a little about these cases is the red furry lining. I was looking at an unnamed case in a music shop fairly recently and gave the lining a little 'pluck', I was surprised how easily the fibres came away. It struck me that these might find their way into the concertina and ultimately come to rest between reed tongue and frame necessitating some fettling. I'm sure this problem is avoided when sourcing a case from the likes of Greg Jowaisis or Frank Edgley who know concertinas and their needs inside out.

Frustrating that Peli Storm cases don't come in the right sort of sizes for larger concertinas as they made the best 'off the shelf' case I could find for my treble EC..

I have one of these, it's pretty solid and certainly far superior to any vintage case and will protect a concertina very well in most situations. It's perhaps not quite up to "premium flight-case" standard, but good for the price.

I have found that the red "fur" does shed a little, but this hasn't caused me any problems.

Edited by TedK

Thanks folks, I have ordered the Stagi case - there does not seem to be anything else available that I can use right now.

I contacted Wim at Concertina Connection and he is now selling the same case but 2" narrower and with only one latch. I like the idea of two latches and my new concertina is wider than the mid-range CC concertinas for which his case was designed.

The price from Liberty Bellows is right and I can modify it later if need be.

Don.