Amboyna Tennor Treble Aeola

Geoff Wooff

Anyone have information or ideas regarding the 56 key Amboyna ( with Gold plated parts) Tennor Treble Aeola that is currently on Ebay?..( sorry I still don't know how to link these things).

What I notice is that, unlike many Wheatstones with fancy finishes that come from the 1930's , this one is from a better period ,1921. The condition of the ends is poor which is a shame because those who want these golden coloured instruments would , I think, be looking for something very smart with a good 'wow' factor.

One of these is not going to sound better because of the fancy finish and restoring the ends will be a tricky job..... easy enough with a Black model but matching colours of Amboyna ??

Any thoughts ?

Edited by Geoff Wooff

No input on point to your issue, just noting that Button Box recently posted an Amboyna Aeola 56 TT. And theirs is 1920, appears to be in very nice, possibly restored condition. So that is TWO to mull over. I want a metal-ended TT or Tenor, and I don't like the sound sample for the metal-ended TT that BB currently has in stock, so this is spectatoring for me. The bottom line is, while there are preferred "eras," one can't really debate the cosmetics-versus-genuine-character thing because individual examples vary so much even within supposedly prime eras. there is just no real info about these concertinas without hearing/trying them . . . right?

Edited by ceemonster

No input on point to your issue, just noting that Button Box recently posted an Amboyna Aeola 56 TT. And theirs is 1920, appears to be in very nice, possibly restored condition. So that is TWO to mull over. I want a metal-ended TT or Tenor, and I don't like the sound sample for the metal-ended TT that BB currently has in stock, so this is spectatoring for me. The bottom line is, while there are preferred "eras," one can't really debate the cosmetics-versus-genuine-character thing because individual examples vary so much even within supposedly prime eras. there is just no real info about these concertinas without hearing/trying them . . . right?

Yes that is Right Cee,

however , and notwithsanding a very small sample even by the standards of someone who has had closer to 100 decent Wheatstone EC's through my hands over the years, there are generalities that can me made about good,better and best periods. So as a starting gate before traveling to try an instrument there are some decisions that can be applied.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I wonder if there is any internal damage relating to the accident that has befallen this box.

I have an edeophone that had at some time had a similar unscheduled meeting with the floor. This had weakened/opened several of the side panel joints. It had also caused a crack in the action board - presumably because the force of the impact had been communicated directly down one of the little wooden pillars. All were successfully restored, but at additional cost.

As Ceemonster says, [with good restoration] it might be wonderful...

Anyone have information or ideas regarding the 56 key Amboyna ( with Gold plated parts) Tennor Treble Aeola that is currently on Ebay?..( sorry I still don't know how to link these things).

What I notice is that, unlike many Wheatstones with fancy finishes that come from the 1930's , this one is from a better period ,1921. The condition of the ends is poor which is a shame because those who want these golden coloured instruments would , I think, be looking for something very smart with a good 'wow' factor.

One of these is not going to sound better because of the fancy finish and restoring the ends will be a tricky job..... easy enough with a Black model but matching colours of Amboyna ??

Any thoughts ?

It is by no means a proven fact, but I think it can be assumed that an extra effort was placed in the manufacture of the instrument in question. In looking at the reeds, I only noticed some surface rust. The gamble for me is always concern over how much the reeds have been tinkered with. Everything else is serviceable including restoring the ends.

Yes I know this instrument. It belonged to a very good player who has multiple instruments and has retired and downsized and moved to the NW USA.

I played it. Sweet tone and not too bad action. It was a little heavier than I like but maybe worth the money if you have a need or desire for such an instrument.

rss

Chris got himself a bargain here;-)

The one from the button-box seems to be quite nice - at 4000 Pound. If I remember rightly, I played it at a NESI a few years ago!? It should have new 7-fold bellows from Wim Wacker. And it should be the one featured here:

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/rare%20concertinas.htm

( I wasn't tempted, as I own three Amboyna TTs: 48, 56 and 64 keys - plus the Amboyna piccolo right above on Wim's page ;-)

Edited by conzertino

Chris got himself a bargain here;-)

Not such a bargain IMO

shipping and insurance - say £200

import duties and VAT totalling around 25% of purchase price and shipping costs - another £800 say

the instrument then cost around £4000 - with considerable restoration work required on the ends as well as all the usual bits - this will bring the total cost up to in the region of £5000 IMO

Edited by SteveS