Ebay Seller's Chutzpah

Chutzpah is, of course, Yiddish for "shameless audacity." I think that chutzpah most certainly applies to an item currently in the concertina listing on Ebay.

A sheet of paper showing the key layout diagram for a concertina is sold along with each cheap Italian-made Anglo concertina. The Ebay seller has a buy-it-now for such a sheet of paper, priced at $9.99 plus $4 postage and handling. (About 6.5 British pound sterling plus P&H; even more postage and handling charge for a non-US buyer).

What's more:

The diagram is for a 20-key C/G concertina--not even a 30 key.

The photo of the diagram in the Ebay advertisement can be saved and/or copied at no cost.

The concertina sites on the internet have loads of better key diagrams.

If the seller is successful, they might consider trying to sell the Brooklyn Bridge to the key layout buyer--$9.99 plus shipping and handling, of course.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACCORDION-CHARTS-20-KEY-CONCERTINA-DIAGRAM-/321887208092?hash=item4af1f9029c:g:su0AAOSwsB9V~YKg

Edited by Dowright

If the seller is successful, they might consider trying to sell the Brooklyn Bridge to the key layout buyer--$9.99 plus shipping and handling, of course.

Shipping and handling on the Brooklyn Bridge just might be a deal breaker.

Edited to add: Any folks here familiar with the Napoleon's Piano episode of the Goon Shows? :D

Edited by JimLucas

Shipping and handling on the Brooklyn Bridge just might be a deal breaker.

Edited to add: Any folks here familiar with the Napoleon's Piano episode of the Goon Shows? :D

Available for download here, though be wary of pop-ups http://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/comedy/the-goon-show/napoleons-piano-1955-10-11

The listing says "WINNING US BIDDER PAYS $4.00 S/H, WINNING INTERNATIONAL BIDDER PAYS ACTUAL SHIPPING CHARGES."

So an international purchaser could end up paying LESS than a U.S. purchaser? It's not going to cost $4.00 to put that in an envelope and send it anywhere in the world. Unless, of course, one wants insurance and special handling!

Edited by Mike Franch

Yes. OT, but be warned, this is downloadable, (with many other Goon Shows), as an .mp3 file from:

http://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/comedy/the-goon-show

Roger - I'm walking backwards for Christmas...!

Edited by lachenal74693

This posting is misplaced. It is repeated in the Concertina History section under Lachenal "New Model"

I do not have any photos of an Anglo New Model. The only one that I ever held was owned by a lady who died a couple years ago. I did not take any photos at the time when I saw it. I do not know where the concertina is today.

But I have attached images (2 each) of metal-fret and wood-fret New Model Englishes. There may or may not be images of New Model Maccann and Crane duets at the respective websites devoted to these instruments.

post-8053-0-32939200-1445958486_thumb.jpg

post-8053-0-15845600-1445958508_thumb.jpg

post-8053-0-75706200-1445958519_thumb.jpg

post-8053-0-24865700-1445958534_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dowright