Golden Aeolas

conzertino

Interesting: someone put in a bid of 3.250 shortly before the end - The sniper of a well-known British dealer tried 10 times to come in at the same price, but lost it... In my opinion someone got a bargain!

That's about $5000 USD. A bargain? Perhaps. For me the Wheatstone tipping point is around 1934 When they went with hook and arm action and different construction materials. It does not mean they did not produce some excellent instruments post 1934 but all things being equal (except for the gold plate and amboyna) without the opportunity to personally play the instrument I'd prefer taking my chances on a Wheatstone 1900-1914 or 1927-1932 rather than one from the late 1930s.

Nonetheless baritone trebles are rare, amboyna gold plated ones rarer and post 1934 but pre-1943 Wheatstone reeds can still be quite good. And Chris Ghent who examined the instrument knows more than something about concertinas and was impressed. So maybe Robert is correct.

Greg

Please note I readily admitted in the above quote that Wheatstone built some excellent instruments post 1934. I am not "dissing" anyone's favorite instrument or construction period. I'm just saying sight unseen and unplayed I would personally tend to favor certain periods of manufacture.

Well, Randy,

I could lie and say I'm totally responsible for your nice Aeola, but I'll take credit for the tuning, new finish and setting it up for a light touch and action. Wheatstone gets the credit for bestowing a good set of reeds and the overall creation of an instrument you really love.

I think one of the things you prefer about your instrument besides it's overall responsiveness is the balanced sound which may match your playing technique and approach and repertoire.

I've heard some players comment on how the Aeola sound changed somewhere around the early 1900s. If true, my pet theory is that perhaps some of the leading performers wanted a more aggressive sound (Larger performance venues, orchestral accompaniment?) and the public followed their concertina heroes and Wheatstone responded with some louder, brasher instruments.

We know that changes in management could result in changes in instrument construction, such as Edward Chidley's son going back to clamped reed tongues. R&D and the competition between Wheatstone and Lachenal may have brought about the Edeophone and Aeola. I also have to wonder if periodic retooling and the introduction of new stamping dies resulted in periods of improvement in Wheatstone and Lachenal factories and contributed to periods of manufacture that we prefer..

Changing economic conditions, a disrupted trained workforce and difficulty in obtaining certain materials made a difference in Wheatstone concertinas after WWII. (And yet, I would never dismiss the possibility of finding a superior instrument even from this period. The proof is indeed in the playing as well as the pudding!)

I know Geoff Woof who has played and worked on many Wheatstones has noticed certain characteristics common to specific periods of manufacture that he prefers. Geoff has been actively involved with concertrinas a lot longer than I have. After 12 years as a full-time repairman and having seen, repaired and played over 500 instruments I am beginning to notice period trends and have my own preferences. Your preferences may differ from mine.

The big disclaimer should be that each concertina needs to be judged on its own merits and that the repair and condition history of any individual concertina will be more important than the period of manufacture.

Greg

• 3 years later...

Just found the exact same listing now on eBay Italy, at 2600€. Tried to contact the seller and didnt get a response. Clearly a scam or someone with a hacked account since the only payment method is “direct bank transfer”. I wonder how eBay allows this... (the concertina does look beautiful though)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/English-concertina-Wheatstone-60-key-Aeola-Baritone-extended-upwards/254167106359?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D604adf4dcecc44219a8f77f081d12c1d%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D13%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D141805358721%26itm%3D254167106359&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac8c79016-7802-11e9-9e48-74dbd1804016|parentrq%3Ac1c248c716a0aa66c12ada98ffc292b1|iid%3A1

☝️This link looks weird as well

Edited by rcr27

On 5/16/2019 at 6:57 PM, rcr27 said:

Just found the exact same listing now on eBay Italy, at 2600€. Tried to contact the seller and didnt get a response. Clearly a scam or someone with a hacked account since the only payment method is “direct bank transfer”. I wonder how eBay allows this... (the concertina does look beautiful though)

☝️This link looks weird as well

I too have my suspicions - I recall seeing it sell back in 2015 - and the pictures appear to be identical to back then.

I've written 3 times with no reply.

It's probably a scam.

Edited by SteveS

On 10/29/2015 at 1:30 PM, Robin Harrison said:

I own the gold plated baritone referred to in the OP.

It doesn't sound any different from other metal ended baritones I've played but it has that lovely distinctive Wheatstone baritone sound. It is phenomenal to hold and look at and and play.

Having been able to give it a try some days ago I can only confirm that it's a lovely and highly desirable instrument!

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
typo (keyboard worn out apparently)

• 1 month later...

Out of interest I have a 29000 serial tenor treble Aeola wich Steve D and I made new gold plated ends with amboyna trim, I also have a 68 key Tortoiseshell crane diet with gold buttons and fittings 

Mike

On 5/22/2019 at 11:49 AM, Wolf Molkentin said:

Having been able to give it a try some days ago I can only confirm that it's a lovely and highly desirable instrument!

My wife bought this one from Robin a few years ago and she used it on our last CD. She had it at the last German meeting which is where Wolf played it...

Adrian