Tentative Sale: Rock Chidley Baritone

SteveS

• 5 months later...

I couldn't send the pm as it says you cannot accept new messages for some reason. I might be interested. Did you ever work out the key layout? How are the reed pans (are they warped in any way?). Finally, I'm assuming you are in Yorkshire?

Thanks.

I couldn't send the pm as it says you cannot accept new messages for some reason. I might be interested. Did you ever work out the key layout? How are the reed pans (are they warped in any way?). Finally, I'm assuming you are in Yorkshire?

Strange - I wonder if my profile has run out of space.

I never did work out the exact key layout. But I'm sure at least one of the reeds is in the wrong place.

No warps in the reed pans as far as I can tell.

This instrument, I'm sure you'll agree, has a very interesting provenance.

Yes I'm in N Yorks.

I intend to be at Swaledale Squeeze in May, so if you still have it then I'd most certainly be interested in viewing with a view to potentially purchasing. Perhaps you could try pm'ing me?

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, looking again at the photos, it appears that the lowest note is probably C; as the button is red. As a baritone starts at G, I reckon that what you have is in fact a bass.

I'll take another look at it and confirm.

Steve, looking again at the photos, it appears that the lowest note is probably C; as the button is red. As a baritone starts at G, I reckon that what you have is in fact a bass.

I'll take another look at it and confirm.

Having had the ends off and compared it to a Wheatstone C bass from the same era, when plucked, the Rock Chidley C reed does indeed sound in a similar pitch to the Wheatstone.

I think we can say with confidence that it is indeed a bass.

Edited by SteveS