Concertina Cases

Well I have to say that I have Ccad. I just bought a Baritone Morse English to go with the Treble Morse English. My poor Stagi must feel neglected.

Rather then having to carry two cases with me to sessions or what not, I would like to get a double blocked case for the two tina's. Does anyone out there know of a good place to get such a case?

-Brad

I think this is very nice. Your concertinas are dating. (You know, getting the baritone to go with the treble. Sort of like, oh rats what do you call it when the parents pick out the bride or groom for their child? Aw, too late at night for me. I'm a morning person.)

Happy case hunting. At least you didn't buy a concertina because you had an empty case.

Helen

Try:

Anthony Griffin

Mountain Stage

Glenbeigh

Kerry

Ireland

Tel:00353669768163

He's made me two double concertina cases.They are very strong;I've been known to sit on them in a session and they are very reasonably priced.He will make them to your specifications.Anthony makes all sorts of cases and is often seen at fleadhs and festivals selling cases from the back of his car.Highly recommended.

Back in 198something at Sidmouth Festival I sheltered from the rain in the craft tent at the Hobgoblin stall as I only had a flimsy bag to hold my concertinas (only two of them at the time). It was suggested that I tried out one of their fibreglass pipe cases for size and we found that it was just deep enough for a standard Wheatstone 40 button to sit in, and would hold up to three concertinas.

As far as I know they have never advertised these cases as suitable for this purpose because the next person who tried one out found that the case was just too small for his concertinas. This is because it depends exactly how much has to be trimmed off when extracting the cases from the mould when they are made.

I now have to keep a strap around the case to stop it from gaping as the hinges have loosened up over the years, but it does have a pair of loops so that I can sling it over my shoulder.

I did find the strap was digging into my shoulder so I padded it out - with Pipe lagging of course!

Robin Madge

I'm pretty sure that there was an advertisement/banner here at C.net for company in Michigan, USA. I think the name was 'Fallon' cases??? Stock and custom cases at very reasonable prices.

That's exactly right: Fallon Cases.

I got a price quote from John Fallon a few months back for a double case. It was, well, more than I was hoping to pay, so I didn't order one. But I keep thinking about how much I would like to have this ....

Another thing that held me back was the size: the standard Fallon double case is, if I recall correctly (but don't quote me on this!), 22 inches long, which is at the upper end of what the airlines allow for carry-on baggage. At this size, the case includes a storage compartment between the two instrument spaces.

However, at the Northeast Squeeze-In, I saw that Tom Lawrence (tomlaw90) had a nice double case that was considerably smaller. It turns out this is a Fallon case. Tom told me that he asked for one without the center compartment, because he, too, wanted to minimize the overall length.

Well, I have a different suggestion, learned from a fellow c-netter on our way up to the NESI this year.

A big double case looks...well, like it holds expensive instruments, making you an inviting target for thieves.

Why not use a grungy duffle, and put two regular cases in it? When you walk down the street with it, strong-arm men probably think you're carrying your gym clothes, not expensive concertinas.

Why make yourself a target?

You know Jim, I was just thinking the same thing. The gym bag thing sounds like a good idea. Alot cheaper going that route and I could carry all those extra little things in the bag as well as my gym socks.

Maybe its better to keep Bari and Tina seperated. Dont need little tenors running around the house just yet.

Yeah it was the Who. Mama's got a squeeze box daddy never sleeps at night!!!

-Brad

Yeah it was the Who. Mama's got a squeeze box daddy never sleeps at night!!!

The Who

Squeeze Box

Mama's got a squeeze box

She wears on her chest

And when Daddy comes home

He never gets no rest

'Cause she's playing all night

And the music's all right

Mama's got a squeeze box

Daddy never sleeps at night

Well the kids don't eat

And the dog can't sleep