How Would You Describe This Concertina..? Wheatstone Aeola 20B

On behalf of a friend who is preparing to sell an interesting concertina I was wondering if anyone might know how to describe it.

It is a beautiful looking octagonal 60 key Wheatstone EC, amboyna with gold plated ends and buttons. It is loud and plays very well and appears to be hardly used. The ledgers describe it as a 20b made in 1938. The only catalogue online near 1938 is 1935, which does not include a 20b, though there is a 20a under Aeolas, described as a Baritone. Because it had notes below the standard 48 (The range is G2 up to A6) I assumed it must be a Tenor Treble. My experience of Baritones (limited to anglos) is they are one octave down from the Treble but this one seems to encompass the range of the Treble but extend down to Baritone levels. Does this make it a Baritone, or in the progression; Extended Treble, Treble, Tenor-Treble, Tenor, Baritone, is this a Baritone-Treble..?

Edited by Chris Ghent

On behalf of a friend who is preparing to sell an interesting concertina I was wondering if anyone might know how to describe it.

It is a beautiful looking octagonal 60 key Wheatstone EC, amboyna with gold plated ends and buttons. It is loud and plays very well and appears to be hardly used. The ledgers describe it as a 20b made in 1938. The only catalogue online near 1938 is 1935, which does not include a 20b, though there is a 20a under Aeolas, described as a Baritone. Because it had notes below the standard 48 (The range is G2 up to A6) I assumed it must be a Tenor Treble. My experience of Baritones (limited to anglos) is they are one octave down from the Treble but this one seems to encompass the range of the Treble but extend down to Baritone levels. Does this make it a Baritone, or in the progression; Extended Treble, Treble, Tenor-Treble, Tenor, Baritone, is this a Baritone-Treble..?

Sounds like a baritone-treble. More common for B-Ts is either 56 buttons (lowest note G) or 64 (lowest note F), though 60 wouldn't reallly be surprising. (My own "tortoise shell" treble has 50 buttons, not 48.) I think from what you say that the lowest G is in the left hand, yes? Then it would be a B-T rather than a standard baritone.

I think it is the fanciest concertina I have ever handled.

..................are you teasing us, Chris !

......................as in ................any images of it ?

It's on Ebay now.

No teasing. Here's the eBay link. And here's the page in the Wheatstone ledgers.

Amboyna woodwork, with gold-plated metal ends and hardware (including buttons). What about the action? With that serial number, I wonder whether it's riveted.