Anglo Players In South Yorkshire

VIN

sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this to but Ive only been playing since march and although I love it ime wondering if there might be any anglo players in my area that I could get together with periodically to maybe get a little push in the right direction,(or even another newbie to share my frustrations with) there seems to be a lot of players in the north west but not a lot around the Doncaster area in south Yorkshire,

Thank you for you response. I have a wooden ended Lachenal 32 button anglo which I play badly, i would like to be able to play a little of all sorts I like English folk and slow airs.

I have a couple of what I think are good books, one being

"The Anglo Concertina Demystified" by Bertram Levy and another " Anglo concertina in the harmonic style" by Gary coover which I bought after seeing it on this forum, I have found them both to be very good and I particularly like the video's posted on line with the later, I have learned a couple of tunes from each so far but it seems to take an age to get a tune to stick (or is that just age) I must say that although in my original post I was looking to get together with other players, and ime happy to find that there are some that close to where I live I now find the idea of walking into a room full of accomplished musicians a bit daunting and perhaps more practise is called for, to this end any advice on learning would be gratefully received, for instance, is it better to try and learn a tune all together with the melody and accompaniment or should I try to pick out the melody first then add to it, or indeed any little tricks that may help things to sink in, many thanks in advance for any advice received and apologies for being so long winded,

is it better to try and learn a tune all together with the melody and accompaniment or should I try to pick out the melody first then add to it, or indeed any little tricks that may help things to sink in, many thanks in advance for any advice received and apologies for being so long winded,

I play Anglo. I learn the melody first. I then add the simple basses and chords. This sometimes means relearning the melody with different fingering. I then play the tune lots of times over weeks or months and gradually refine the arrangement or find variations in the accompaniment.

In order to make the accompaniment an enhancement to the tune rather than just a mechanical plinky plonk, you need to be as confident as possible with the tune. I find that when I am playing a tune I know well, nearly all my conscious attention to timing, volume, emphasis and attack is on the accompaniment. The melody then looks after itself.

Thank you that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for, particularly the repetition of the tune over a long period, I thought it might be just me that had to keep pecking the tune into my head only for it to leak out it helps a lot to know im not alone.

Edited by VIN