Concertina Choice

What concertina would you choose if you could have only one and it would be presented free to you?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We do expect our new line of concertinas to be significantly lighter than their counterpart vintage ones.

me want me want me want it NOW!!!

Seriously, I would be very interested in a G/D version of this. Nothing will prise my beloved Jeffries out of my grip (Pete Dickey was right on that score), but after my experience with my current Morse as a lightweight companion to the Jeffries, the decision to upgrade to the new model when it becomes available is, frankly, a no-brainer. Please add my name to the waiting list if there is one.

Nice one, Rich!

Chris

PS I have fitted leather baffles to my Morse G/D. It is a worthwhile thing to do in terms of softening the harsher edge of the sound without significantly quietening it. Other owners of hybrid types might like to consider doing the same.

Edited to add PPS: Re-reading the above it is apparent to me that I am a textbook case of CCAD. Misery me!

Edited by Chris Timson

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I really want is a "more than 30" button C/G baritone.

When you have problems with the top end of the bass range when singing the only solution is play a deeper instrument!

I really need a couple of the buttons from the 40 key Wheatstone layout on the right hand, and a couple from the left, and a drone.

No option for an electronic MIDI interface on the poll then?

Robin Madge

No option for an electronic MIDI interface on the poll then?

Tsk, digital instruments are the work of the devil. :D

No they are not the work of the devil; they are far worse than that. Not one of Satan's infernal minions would dare to even touch such an abomination lest they be cast from their wretched state to a pit so deep and horrible that the mind can not begin to contemplate it.

Indeed the evil of the Midi concertina is so great that only the most twisted of human souls could even think that such a thing was desirable :)

Actually I'd quite like to try a midi concertina. There are a couple in existence already. I think it would be great to be playing concertina, whilst the sound coming out of the amp is a Fender Strat, or a French Horn, or a Church Organ or Peoples voices.

I guess it comes down to if you like Jean Michel Jarre (and before him Tomita!) or not ;)

Actually I'd quite like to try a midi concertina. There are a couple in existence already. I think it would be great to be playing concertina, whilst the sound coming out of the amp is a Fender Strat, or a French Horn, or a Church Organ or Peoples voices.

And this is exactly what I dislike most about midi instruments. Its not that they are electronic (though I see little need for electric versions of most acoustic instruments except perhaps as practice instruments for people with less than tolerant neighbors, kids, animals, spouses, etc) but rather that people will use them to steal what is distinctive and beautiful about other instruments at the cost of what is distinctive and beautiful about the basic instrument itself. While we might be able to make a concertina sould like a Fender Strat, you will never be able to play a concertina like one; it just will not be the same.

Give me a good old fashioned real concertina or real Fender Strat anyday.

--

Bill

people will use them to steal what is distinctive and beautiful about other instruments at the cost of what is distinctive and beautiful about the basic instrument itself

Well, I agree with the sentiment of your post entirely. To me Midi is a "fun" thing to "play" with, and I would use it in the privicy of my own home. It can never and should never replace the authentic instrument and/or the talent to play that instrument. I know a number of guitarists who have access to such systems, but they would never use them in a "real" performance.

I am wholeheartedly against the plastic music in the "popular" charts which I think has been caused in part by the midi explosion. I'm a firm believer that just because you can do something, does not mean that you should!

I would love to have a MIDI Concertina. I could hook it up to a fuzz box and reverb it, maybe a wawa peddle, plug into an amp and play Iron Butterfly's Inagadadavida!! DA DA DADADA DA DA DA DA!!!

-Brad

Now you 're talking....

I could play those fantastic guitar riffs from the Saw Doctors. N17, I Useta love a, exillerating sadness. Now then digital, analogue or valve amp.................... ;)

Well looking at the results of this poll is very interesting. The number of people who have hybrids (I assume only they only have hybrids) is about evenly split between those who would like to upgrade to a box with real concertina reeds and those who would stick with the hybrids. The number of people who have vintage instruments would overwhelmingly keep those instruments (Not suprisingly since anyone who prefers a hybrid could have long ago sold the vintage instrument at a profit and picked up a hybrid or two and pocketed the difference).

My question is for those who chose the hybrid over the vintage (or new vintage :)) concertinas. Essentially why?

--

Bill

My question is for those who chose the hybrid over the vintage (or new vintage :)) concertinas. Essentially why?

Bill

You like to put us on the spot Bill! :) Doh! I guess I just told you that I was one of the "hybrid stickers" :(.

Lots of reasons for me - I know exactly who made my concertina, I know he cares deeply about his work, I know he'll charge "fairly" for servicing. He answers the phone! I can look around his workshop and see what else is in progress. I know he is constantly seeking to improve the quality of his instruments and is careful over which suppliers he uses. He only lives 30 minutes drive away. He is a real gentleman. He makes me a cup of tea when I see him, and a ten minute visit usually turns into an hours conversation, with other concertina players also dropping in to chat! I can get a good quality, air efficient concertina for just over £1000.

Problem with a vintage concertina as with a motorbike (car etc.) firstly is where has it been for the last twenty years (damp garage/loft/wardrobe wrapped in a blanket - who knows), what condition is it in, what was the quality of the original material used to build it and talent of builder etc etc. Will it need a £500 tune up/restoration. Added to which is the russian roulette of using ebay to source an affordable vintage instrument (which I would never do).

I'd rather have the personal connection with a living builder, than own a piece of history.

I'm one of those who voted in the hybrid to hybrid catagory. There wasn't a true catgory for me. Don't intend getting another concertina, but if that were to have to happen...I couldn't justify the money for a vintage or new vintage.

I was very skeptical about these accordion reeds. However, my instrument is a peach. Don't miss the extra notes omitted on the Albion. Yes, I've run off the top of the buttons a few times and have hit that air button in a vain attempt to make it sound, which has made me chuckle. Oddly enough I owned a 1921 Wheatstone Aeola 64. Talk about one extreme to another. Except for improvisational situations in Jazz and Bluegrass, it has not been an issue (the top notes on the 'Stone would make my Bulldog howel anyhow).

If I hit the Lotto, who knows. But Albion 209 is my axe regardless.

Mark and Peter,

Thanks for responding, but I do want to point out a couple of thoughts.

1. Peter, because of an ommission in the original poll, the vitnage category also included new instruments like Suttner and Dipper that use traditional reeds. I think from feedback it is clear that both Suttner and Dipper (as well as others not mentioned) place every bit as much care in their instruments as any of the hybrid makers. That being said would you still stick with the hybrid? What if the person who made your hybrid started making vintage style instruments?

2. Mark, you say you couldn't justify a vintage instrument, and I am sure that is true of almost everyone who has only hybrids; the question is, if money was no object, lets say the Concertina Farie (whom I think must be Jim; he is going around giving concertinas to all the good little musicians who practiced their scales... that explains why he hasn't been posting :)) were to come to your house and say you could either keep your Morse or you could have a brand new, perfect condition 48 button English by Wheatstone or Suttner (Does Dipper make Englishes?) without any cost to you.. would your answer still be the same?

--

Bill

My oh my! I'm seeing the Concertina Farie in my mind as I tap (Wings, pixie dust, devilish smile and all with a Wheatstone 48 pour moi). Temptation get thee behind me!

My wife gave me Tina for my 50th birthday (called up the Button Box outta the blue on her own an all). I sold the Stone 20 years before for grad school. This was her gift to me...go on little boy, you've been very good as of late and now you can be trusted to hang out in pubs an' play that silly stuff. Just couldn't do it. Besides not wanting to sleep in the tool shed, I've named the Albion and am long gone in love. It brought back to me that which I had lost.

Were I able to drop my scruples and risk divorce, I'd snatch that 48 outta Jim's pixie dust encrusted mits, say thanks ye, an' run! Wonder, would Jim be wearin' that fisherman's jersy or opt for an overstated spandex sparkle suit? :blink:

Were I able to drop my scruples and risk divorce, I'd snatch that 48 outta Jim's pixie dust encrusted mits, say thanks ye, an' run! Wonder, would Jim be wearin' that fisherman's jersy or opt for an overstated spandex sparkle suit? :blink:

Mark, since the question pre-supposes Jim... er I mean the Concertina Farie giving you the concertina at no cost to you (other than giving up the Morse Albion), how does it constitute dropping your scruples and risking divorce to accept?

--

Bill