Concertina Choice

What concertina would you choose if you could have only one and it would be presented free to you?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This may yeild some interesting results.... I know that most of us have several concertinas but consider the box you play most and which box of your dreams you'd be getting for free. No holds barred. This is intended to elicit what YOU prefer to play, not necessarily what someone wants to hear you play.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My box is a Dickinson/Wheatstone wooden-ended 46-key Hayden Duet. The box of my dreams would be a Dickinson/Wheatstone burled walnut ended 58-key Hayden Duet.

Well, that's being what's possible even though it may be improbable. For the impossible I'd go with the same but make it a 65-key but only the same size and weight as the 56....

Richard,

What about including options for the current makers of concertinas with concertina reeds?

For the record I think my idea would be a Jefferies anglo 38 key or a Wheatstone 40 key... or maybe Suttner's 38 key (Coming from the Button Accordion world I am not a weight weenie :)).

I currently play a Marcus Hybrid, and looking forward to a 30 key Edgley and a 30 key Kensington (which uses real concertina reeds).

--

Bill

Hi Everyone,

I have a Morse Albion and a Lachenal New Model. The Lachenal is just great, it has a new Concertina Connection action and is completely rebuilt. It's a loud, powerful concertina with a lightning quick response. I think it's right up there with the nicest vintage concertinas I've played. The funny thing is, I play the Morse probably 80% of the time. I'm not sure why, but the Morse is easier to play, and probably for that reason it's more fun. I also prefer the tone of the Morse when playing tunes from Dancing With Ma Baby. I think they sound better on the Morse than they do on vintage concertinas.

The Morse is the most comfortable concertina I've ever played. I just love it's light weight, which I feel makes it a lot easier for me to play expressively. I think if I had the money I'd get one in black just to have a different one to play. Rich, I think you guys came up with a real winner when you designed it. Haven't played or seen a Geuns/Wakker yet, but I'd love to try one.

bruce boysen

Bruce don't get me started on what I would like... oh wait I guess you did.

I think my desires are simple...

I want one of everything ;). BTW, I am not joking I have a bad case of CCAD (concertina compulsive aquisitive disorder) (Which I just sort of invented as our version of WHOA (WHistle Obsessive Aquisitive disorder). I have a Marcus and have two concertinas on order (An Edgley and a Kensington) and am already wondering if I could convince one of the American makers if they would make an Anglo with 38 keys in a Jefferies layout (I would go to Suttner or Dipper except for the multi year wait and the cost)....

--

Bill

I currently have a 48-button Lachenal English, pretty basic model (wooden ends, bone buttons, but with steel reeds). I would love to have a nice Wheatstone Aeola. Still 48 buttons -- I don't really feel any need for more than that. Wooden ends or metal would be OK with me -- both look and sound great.

Ah, dreams!

:)

Steven

This is quite a hard question. My "workhorse" anglo is a Norman C/G, and I'd actually be extremely reluctant to get rid of it, as it's an immensely likeable box. I've put in lots of hours getting to know it (and battering the living daylights out of it) and anyway, I find parting with any instrument that I like _terribly_ difficult...

That said, I'll have a 46-key Crabb in C/G, please.

:D

I have a 1913 Wheatstone Aeola treble and an early Morse Albion treble. I love playing both of them and I can't imagine giving up either of them. I also have a Stagi treble that I don't enjoy playing. I keep it around for people I don't particularly trust to borrow.

I voted "I don't have enough experience" though the truth is I have too much experience (and too many boxes!). At present my anglo time is divided between a Morse Ceili and Kensington number 8 (finished last summer). I love each in its own way (therefore I am on the fence) and can afford to keep both. They are literally at the extremes of weight (lightest and heaviest I have owned) which is an issue for me orthopedically - the summer was tricky getting used to Dana's box and we are going to make different handle for it, but it is working out. Rich M. definitely has that part of the market which must have the lightest box available! I have some weary Lachenal anglos but seldom play them now.

I agree that an open market segment waiting for someone to jump into it is a 36 or 38 key hybrid anglo. Rich M. perhaps you can fit those reeds from the Albion in there? After seeing Jody and Tom Kruskal in workshops I see the uses for these and for now you have find an old one or wait years for a custom job.

My box is a Dickinson/Wheatstone wooden-ended 46-key Hayden Duet. The box of my dreams would be a Dickinson/Wheatstone burled walnut ended 58-key Hayden Duet.

Wot he said.

Actually, my Dickinson/Wheatstone 46-key Hayden Duet has metal ends and I'd also be happy with a big Dipper Hayden (pun acknowledged but not intended), but you get the idea.

I agree that an open market segment waiting for someone to jump into it is a 36 or 38 key hybrid anglo.

Andy Norman already does them, but I got the impression when I had mine made that he didn't make them in huge numbers - I wonder how many people are aware of them? I have a 36-key G/D of his, which is great - and have played his 36-key C/G "demonstration" instrument, which obviously responded a bit quicker down the bottom end than the G/D.

If anyone is after one of these, his waiting list when I ordered mine (almost two years ago) wasn't horrendous, and the price hike from the 30-key to 36-key models isn't bad at all.

In my case I would need two ideal boxes - one for instrumentals/sessions and one for song accompaniment. So I'm lucky, I already have one of them in the shape of my Dipper baritone for song accompaniment. Under no circumstances would I consider selling that concertina.

For sessions, I guess what I want doesn't really exist, because it would have to have the sound and playability of my Jeffries G/D and the physical lightness of my Morse G/D. So both concertinas get quite a bit of playing time.

I do have other concertinas (CCAD strikes again - what a useful concept), but nowadays almost all my playing time is spent on these three.

Chris

Edited to add PS: Oh yes, and the Anglodeon is due to arrive sometime round about April. Stormy has sent me pictures of the work in progress. What heading should that go under, I wonder?

Edited by Chris Timson