Now Officially A Concertina Player

Roy M.

Today I recieved the parcel which contained my Concertina Connection Rochelle from The Button Box, and I thought I would share my first experience with a concertina in real life.

It didn't have a 'new instrument smell' on account of being 'slightly used'. It had been used by someone for a few weeks at a camp, so there's already some wear on the paint and such. That was to be expected, and outside of some external wear everything looked good. (I am getting a little bit of a price break on it for if/when I purchase.)

What I didn't expect was the dimensions. It's one thing to see instruments on Youtube or C-Net, it's another thing to pull it out of the box and have it in your hands. I certainly expected the buttons to be a bit bigger than they are.

However, I'm fairly happy with it. Everything appears to work the way it is supposed to. I started to work on the included tutor, and I'm fairly amazed by the sounds I can make with three buttons and the bellows. It also sounds fairly bright and cheerful, which is what I like.

I did have to stop after a bit of playing, but I think I'll be able to do more and more as I practice each day. I hope to get good enough that I'm not a drag at the Palistine meetup.

Edited by Roy M.

Today I recieved the parcel which contained my Concertina Connection Rochelle from The Button Box, and I thought I would share my first experience with a concertina in real life.

It didn't have a 'new instrument smell' on account of being 'slightly used'. It had been used by someone for a few weeks at a camp, so there's already some wear on the paint and such. That was to be expected, and outside of some external wear everything looked good. (I am getting a little bit of a price break on it for if/when I purchase.)

What I didn't expect was the dimensions. It's one thing to see instruments on Youtube or C-Net, it's another thing to pull it out of the box and have it in your hands. I certainly expected the buttons to be a bit bigger than they are.

However, I'm fairly happy with it. Everything appears to work the way it is supposed to. I started to work on the included tutor, and I'm fairly amazed by the sounds I can make with three buttons and the bellows. It also sounds fairly bright and cheerful, which is what I like.

I did have to stop after a bit of playing, but I think I'll be able to do more and more as I practice each day. I hope to get good enough that I'm not a drag at the Palistine meetup.

Congratulations! I love that feeling of starting to learn a new instrument. I still get excited about it. I wish you lots of joy with your concertina. My first was a Jackie (English equivalent of what you have). I still have it and love it and I think these instruments have been the gateway for a lot of people into the world of concertinas.

Thanks everyone.

I think the hardest part of going from no instrument to trying to master one is making it a part of your daily life. Especially when learning an instrument is an exercise in delayed gratification. I think it might be best for me to incorporate it into my evening routine. I'm on the move a lot, but it stays home.

I've also gotten a good quality plastic tranverse orcarina (vessel flute) to have with me for music on the go. I'm just wanting music in my life at the moment, and being able to make it is very satisfying.

... I do seem to be drawn to obscure instruments, though.