Removing Old Wax

I was given a Galanti Bros Super Florence, and it needs new leathers and rewaxing; some of the reeds had even fallen out. The thing is, whoever waxed it really laid the stuff on - it's 1/8" thick in places! What's the best way to get all that off of the reed banks? And how much wax should I be putting on? From the tutorials I've looked at, it doesn't seem like it needs nearly that much.

What you have there is an accordion, not a concertina. Different instruments, and though related, beyond the subject of this forum. You'll probably find more response in other forums directed towards accordions and melodeons rather than this rather concertina-specific forum.

However, a few comments:

It's not uncommon to see 1/8'' of wax - the technique of applying reedwax and the quantity used is often debated, and is generally a matter of preference of the person working on the box. The wax should cover most of the side of the reedplates and a similar portion of the wood, but it's a matter of taste whether the wax should fill up the gaps completely or be angled off, so it sort of 'slopes' downward from the side of the reedplates. I prefer the slope, as too much wax is redundant if applied properly, and a good seal is made.

Cleaning off the wax is a matter of scraping, and finishing up with a few strokes of sandpaper, so you have a nice and clean surface with all the old wax removed.

Again, try searching for accordion forums online, and I'm sure you'll find plenty of information. Best of luck, an old Galanti really is a nice piece of kit once properly restored, serviced and tuned.