Another "interested In Learning The Concertina" Thread

Reporting in, folks; I met with Greg this afternoon, and he was wonderful to talk with. He had a large number of english concertinas for me to try out, and try them out I did. But with this being my first time even holding a concertina, I got more out of hearing Greg play with regards to hearing the differences among the various instruments. He let me play around with his high-end instruments, and that was rather amazing, and it gives me something to work toward. The instrument I chose was his Lachenal Vickers, which is a five-fold bellows instrument with brass reeds, which should hopefully make it easier for me to play chords. I'm learning to walk before I run, and I'm getting quicker with the simple scale. I figure once I can do the scale automatically I'll be able to start taking bigger steps forward.

So thanks everyone for your advice and opinions. Those who spoke highly of Greg were right on. Greg was great and really made me feel better taking the leap into the unknown world of the english concertina. Oh, and I had no idea concertinas was so beautiful. Youtube and pictures on the internet just do not do them justice. I really look forward to the time when I can play my first song. :)

Reporting in, folks; I met with Greg this afternoon, and he was wonderful to talk with. He had a large number of english concertinas for me to try out, and try them out I did. But with this being my first time even holding a concertina, I got more out of hearing Greg play with regards to hearing the differences among the various instruments. He let me play around with his high-end instruments, and that was rather amazing, and it gives me something to work toward. The instrument I chose was his Lachenal Vickers, which is a five-fold bellows instrument with brass reeds, which should hopefully make it easier for me to play chords. I'm learning to walk before I run, and I'm getting quicker with the simple scale. I figure once I can do the scale automatically I'll be able to start taking bigger steps forward.

So thanks everyone for your advice and opinions. Those who spoke highly of Greg were right on. Greg was great and really made me feel better taking the leap into the unknown world of the english concertina. Oh, and I had no idea concertinas was so beautiful. Youtube and pictures on the internet just do not do them justice. I really look forward to the time when I can play my first song. :)

Congratulations! Lots of luck with your playing. Warning: it's horribly addictive!!

Congratulations!

I bought my Lachenal English concertina from Greg three years ago after playing a Jackie for a year and a half.

You will have much more pleasure learning on the Lachenal than on the Jackie.

I started on the Jackie because I could rent it to see if I liked playing an EC before I bought one.

I liked the tone of the Jackie quite well until I tried playing a friend's Lachenal anglo concertina at one of our San Diego groups.

Best of luck with your concertina adventure.

Mary B

...Oh, and I had no idea concertinas was so beautiful...

Careful! That's how they got to me! Result - after less than a year, I have seven of the

little b*****s - five vintage, and two modern hybrids - and thinking about buying No. 8!!!

Good luck!

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

I'm certainly not going to knock the notion of learning on a vintage concertina, but I don't regret the short time I spent with the Rochelle I started on.

The rental and the trade-in facility is a big plus. The difference in price between the Rochelle and decent 30 button Anglo oldie is quite considerable. For someone who just wants to try out and see if concertina is for them and doesn't want to lay out too much, the former is probably the way to go.

I think if you are buying either of the above you should plan to quickly move on up to a real concertina (is that controversial??). I see a few people with them and in the main they are disappointed when they see others on better instruments which help them move forward quicker. I understand it is cost related though and yes they will give you an idea of what playing a concertina is like.