Concertinas At Witney

John Dipper

Hello,

Just a quick shout out, that I will be one of the tutors, along with Tim Laycock, Brian Peters and Dave Townsend at concertinas at Witney on the 26th and 27th of September in Witney near Oxford.

Hope to see you there!

Very best,

John

www.johndipper,co.uk

http://www.davetownsendmusic.com/homweekends/concertinas.html

John Dipper is a leading member of the new generation of folk musicians, playing fiddle and concertina, performing with various groupings including Alma.

Tim Laycock is a well-established singer and concertina player, founder member of the New Scorpion Band, veteran of many stage productions at The National Theatre and elsewhere, and master of the Crane Duet.

Brian Peters has been performing and teaching traditional music and song all over the world for quite a while now, with anglo concertina and melodeon and occasional excursions into fiddle and guitar.

Dave Townsend is a singer and instrumentalist, playing accordion, fiddle and especially English concertina. His wide-ranging work covers performance, recording, research and publishing, including appearances on film, television and radio. He is the founder of The Mellstock Band and director of Hands On Music Weekends.

COURSE UNITS
Saturday Morning

A1 John Dipper
- Creative Arrangement
How to create arrangements of tunes for concertinas, working at our own instant band arrangement. (All Systems, I/H)

A2 Tim Laycock - Exploring the Potential of the Duet for Harmony
It’s not as difficult as you think - Tim's comprehensive guide the possibilities of Duet concertinas. (All Duet systems, B/I)

A3 Brian Peters - Bonaparte’s Retreat
A selection of Napoleonic-themed tunes to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. (All Systems, B/I/H)

A4 Dave Townsend - Perfect Practice
As you snatch those precious minutes to practise your instrument, how do you make the best use of the time? And how do you avoid getting bored and lapsing into running over your favourite tunes? Dave will explain how to really improve your playing in an enjoyable way. (All Systems, B/I/H)

Saturday Afternoon

B1 John Dipper - Reinventing Tunes
How to make tunes your own so that they leap off the page! (All Systems, B/I/H)

B2 Tim Laycock - Dorset Tunes New and Old
Tunes from the Hardy and Rose Manuscripts, and one or two new Laycock compositions. (All Systems, B/I/H)

B3 Brian Peters - Anglo Harmony
All the way from the usual ‘vamp and chording’ left-hand style to the creation of moving harmony lines on Anglo concertina. (C/G Anglo, I/H)

B4 Dave Townsend - A Basic Guide to Harmony
A quick guide to how standard harmony works in the context of concertina playing. (All Systems, B/I/H)

Sunday

C1 John Dipper - ConcertinaTechniques
The whole gamut of techniques to improve your concertina playing, including bellows control, dynamics, rhythm and ornaments. (All Systems, B/I/H)

C2 Tim Laycock - Song Accompaniment
How to make your concertina accompaniments more effective. We’ll work on some examples together, and there will also be an opportunity for brave souls to play one of their own accompaniments to the group. (All Systems, B/I/H)

C3 Brian Peters - Rags to Riches
Ragtime tunes for concertina. You will need to know your way around the accidentals and odd corners of your instrument to get the most out of this unit - demanding and exhilarating! (All Systems, I/H)

C4 Dave Townsend - Sounding Brass
The classic concertina band repertoire of the early twentieth century came from the brass bands. We will play some of the classic brass band marches and other tunes which the old concertina bands used to play. Suitable for any concertina system, but good reading skills will be needed. Bass and Baritone English concertinas will be available on loan - they read from treble clef just like a standard treble. (I/H)

A great line up of tutors. I would have liked to be there, but I am already committed with Kettle Bridge Clogs.

We shall be in Bath for the Morris Federation AGM/day of dance/ceilidh. And I will be spending a few more days enjoying the city and surrounding area.

Best wishes for a great weekend.

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild

Just a quick shout out, that I will be one of the tutors, along with Tim Laycock, Brian Peters and Dave Townsend at concertinas at Witney on the 26th and 27th of September in Witney near Oxford.

Both the teachers and the topics have me greatly regretting that scheduling conflicts prevent me from being there. I'll just have to hope for further opportunities in the future.

Both the teachers and the topics have me greatly regretting that scheduling conflicts prevent me from being there. I'll just have to hope for further opportunities in the future.

Just to add that I have worked with John in the past and he is a very inspiring tutor. Sadly, I am otherwise engaged that weekend.

Chris