Jeffries 26 On Ebay

John Sylte

Hello Everyone, it's been a few years since I've posted... I saw this on ebay, was curious about your thoughts? I can't figure out why I can't paste a link? I must have been away for too long. The item number is 131603062272.

Seller has over 800 transaction history but none in the last year? Is that fishy? Does anyone know the seller?

Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Jeffries-Anglo-Concertina-/131603062272?hash=item1ea4275e00

Maybe I'm wrong, but, at a quick glance, the maker's name font seems slightly unusual, as does the cut of the air button surround and the button geometry.

Edited by malcolm clapp

Yes Malcolm, I was considering bidding; then on a closer look the name seemed different in impression, somehow more scratched than stamped, even allowing for the corrosion, the letters appear distorted. In fact, the bellows have been both replaced and repaired if one considers the bindings and the lack of decoration, and from what can be seen of the papers, none there either of Jeffries' livery. The buttons seem to sit rather high suggesting complete lack of pads, the strap screws are different end to end. The fretwork, although in the Jeffries form is slightly less delicate, and then there is that air button escutcheon. So I wonder, but not enough to bid, hesitating to think if the reeds are Jeffries, if indeed they are there at all.

David

Hmmm. I'd be struggling to see nearly $2k worth of value in this condition, but then maybe the reeds are fantastic....maybe....

My suspicion is that it might have been a wooden ended Jones originally, but with replacement metal ends made and fitted (almost!) at some point in its life.

At what point it became a "C Jeffries" is anyone's guess.

Hmmm. I'd be struggling to see nearly $2k worth of value in this condition, but then maybe the reeds are fantastic....maybe....

My suspicion is that it might have been a wooden ended Jones originally, but with replacement metal ends made and fitted (almost!) at some point in its life.

At what point it became a "C Jeffries" is anyone's guess.

It would be interesting to see inside it if anybody here bought it.I also thought it might have started off as a Jones .When I blew up the pictures I thought I might have be looking at Jones type lever post.