Resources For The Anglo Concertina?

Roy M.

So I will soon begin the process of getting a Concertina Connection “Rochelle” from the Button Box, under their rental program. I know that there will a tutor with it, although I do not know how 'in depth' that tutor might be, so to speak.

Both “The Irish Concertina: A Tutor for the Anglo Concertina in the Irish Style” by Mick Bramich and “Anglo Concertina in the Harmonic Style” by Gary Cooper look promising and desirable, although according to the Amazon review they might not be appropriate for a completely new player.

The DVD “How to Play Anglo Concertina” by Frank Edgley also looks promising, and may be of more help, but then it may be going over territory that's already presented in the Concertina Connection tutor. Alternatively, it may be useful to see these techniques demonstrated.

A good body of sheet music to study from and master with the Anglo Concertina would also likely be helpful. It seems natural to master the Irish sessions, as that's the area where the concertina seems most actively used these days, but I'd like to be able to study other styles as well so that I might eventually make my own compositions.

What resources do you use?

Howdy Roy,

Welcome to cnet and the concertina world! Lots of information, advice and opinion here to inform and entertain.

Of course I have to suggest "Easy Anglo 1-2-3" - there are some free samples here on cnet and also through the Look Inside feature on Amazon. It's geared for beginners and teaches tunes on one row, two rows and then tunes that need all three rows. I'll eventually get videos of all the tunes posted on YouTube. "Anglo Concertina in the Harmonic Style" starts of easy, but gets really hard fairly quickly since you're using all your fingers and lots of chords.

I find simple tablature the best crutch for getting started on the Anglo, and eventually it turns into actually learning the notes which then opens up a whole world of printed music. Both Mick's and Frank's books only use music notation so the learning curve might be a bit steeper if starting with them. There are also some fairly difficult tab and numbering systems out there, so shop around and see what works best for you.

And since you're in the Lone Star state, definitely try to get to the Old Palestine Concertina Weekend in East Texas, usually the last weekend of March. Lots of concertinas, workshops, great friends and Shep's BBQ. It's been going on for 10 years and is great fun. Jody Kruskal is often the headliner brought in to help teach.

Gary

Roy,

Something I learnt at school was, when you're researching a topic, read at least two books, even if the first one is considered a definitive work. I've found this to be true of musical instrument tutors, too. The entry-level tutor is usually not just a subset of another author's advanced tutor.

Cheers,

John

Gary:

I'll try to make the Palestine event, although I am getting ready to start my career and do not know where it will take me or what my time constraints are going to be. (For example, I do not know if my first job will keep me in the Greater Houston Area or take me north to Wyoming.) That is part of the appeal of the concertina to me, in that it is more handy and portable than a keyboard.

I'll give Easy Concertina 1-2-3 a try.

John:

That's sound advice. Unfortunately my own research skills are not the greatest. My undergrad schoolwork tended twoards doing enough problems that I could be able to solve the physics problems presented in most cases and be confident in my answer, and getting to the point where one can do so of their own initiative instead of being told to do so. I don't have very many other life experiences at the moment beyond volunteering to do emergency management work via the TXSG.

Edited by Roy M.

Perhaps this is the most appropriate place to put in an update...

I have ordered the concertina, and the first three month's rent+S&H should be paid upon shipping. It should arrive at my home either Friday or Monday, which is fair considering the distance it's travelling. I have also ordered "Easy Anglo 1-2-3" to use with the provided tutor. (Gary, does that book come with Youtube videos like "Anglo Concertina in the Harmonic Style"?)

I have discovered concertina.com, which is providing reading material. I have also discovered a site which proports to preserve the folk music of the Australian Brush.

I'm looking forward to starting.