Anglo Or Three Coming To Market

zimbotut

Hi,a virtuoso squeezer wanted to buy my small 30 key rosewood Lachenal piccollo,which is being tuned for me at present,ready sometime late January/Feb.

A very clean and dainty little instrument,about 5.25/50inches across,fine fretwork,undamaged,and hard to find .I will expect this to fetch more than a standard model. I found Greg Jowias a similar box last year,but they are quite scarce overall. I bought a fine ebony ended 32 key Lachenal last week.181---,lovely origional condition,with gold tooled bellows,nice fretwork,the baffles still there,and a lovely unusual uniform fretwork pattern on the top of both sides,on the woodwork,going through the wood completely,near the outside.Discreet,arty,and origional,and certainly adds to the overall appearance of the box.The handstraps have Lachenal&Co,in gold tooling,and overall a very pleasant box in concert c/g,but has not been played for along time ,so needs repadding etc.,highly responsive,and will be a belter after the small amount of work is completed.I also have a nice rosewood 30 key,which should be ready in February,and a cracking 38 key Jeffries,available early Feb.I was thinking of taking up the anglo,but I am not gay,and I have been told that this condition/lifestyle is more or less a prerequisite to be a successful virtoustic performer.Maybe I could start off by either learning the basic scales,or maybe by having some of the bones removed from my wrist,but I am unsure as to which task to perform first.Perhaps then I might stand a slim sporting chance of mastering the instrument,and joining the club ,so to speak.Was Mrs Crotty the last real genuine female player?,apparently there is one more out there somewhere amongst the borderline cases,but I cannot vouch for this personally,as it is only hearsay,at this point in time,but hopefully somebody may discover,one day, if one actually exhists for real,and let us know,as it would be a great boost to humanity,in general,if such a person exhisted,and perhaps start a new trend,with maybe a second,and, dare I say ,a third woman converting to the instrument in all its glory. Happy Honking :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

There are many virtuoso female players today. Readers of this forum do not have to be told of the likes of Mary MacNamara, or Jacqueline McCarthy, or Cathy Custy. But there are many more brilliant players whose names are not well known. The concertina has always been favoured by women in Ireland. Elizabeth Crotty was indeed an outstanding player, but there were others. She is best known, I understand, because her husband owned a pub (Crotty's) where she would play. Other women players, because of the social conventions of the time, would rarely play in those venues, doing most of their playing at home or at house dances, out of the eye of the general public.

To remark on your other comment, but what does being gay have to do with concertina playing??? All the concertina players I know have all their wrist bones, and some of them may, indeed, be gay, for I know, or care.

Either this is some sort of twisted joke (and one in rather poor taste too I might add) or you truely have the worst selling technique I have ever seen. While you are at it, why not go to the Chiff and Fipple boards and tell all the flute players that only women play flutes these days.

In any case, last I checked Irish music (if not indeed all music) had opened up to the point where no one really thinks in terms of mens or women's instruments any more. In every instrument I can think of I can rattle off several women and several men in each who are well regarded amongst musicians and listeners alike (ok.. I can't with the uillean pipes but I think that is more my lack of knowledge of pipers than it being an exception to the rule).

--

Bill

I was thinking of taking up the anglo,but I am not gay,and I have been told that this condition/lifestyle is more or less a prerequisite to be a successful virtoustic performer.

Eh? :blink:

What a curious thing to say. I have no idea what makes you think that (or whoever you heard say it). I'm sure that sexual orientation has as much to do with playing an instrument as how big one's feet happen to be.

In every instrument I can think of I can rattle off several women and several men in each who are well regarded amongst musicians and listeners alike (ok.. I can't with the uillean pipes but I think that is more my lack of knowledge of pipers than it being an exception to the rule).

Louise Mulcahy (elder daughter in the Mulcahy Family) is a fine uilleann piper.

So your list is now complete, Bill. :)

Cheers,

Mark

In every instrument I can think of I can rattle off several women and several men in each who are well regarded amongst musicians and listeners alike (ok.. I can't with the uillean pipes but I think that is more my lack of knowledge of pipers than it being an exception to the rule).

Louise Mulcahy (elder daughter in the Mulcahy Family) is a fine uilleann piper.

So your list is now complete, Bill. :)

Thanks Mark, I am much obliged :).

--

Bill

I was thinking of taking up the anglo,but I am not gay,and I have been told that this condition/lifestyle is more or less a prerequisite to be a successful virtoustic performer.

What does Zimbotut expect to achieve with this remarks??? Should we all start shouting:

Hurray, hurray Zimbotut is not gay

Yes ,Stephen,unfortunately my medication has run out,and my shrink is in therapy

at present,so is unable to prescribe. Could you possibly lend me 14

of your capsules?,as they seemed to work well last time,and most my teeth have grown back ,maybe not all in their origional positions,but I am getting used to them,and no other side affects were noticed, however, my pet monkeys anglo playing sounds better,and I seem to be adapting slowly to his style,which is something south of Clare,in my opinion,and worth serious consideration The burned oil flavoured capsules were particularly appealing,and would be my first choice,but any antihonk slow release product would be most appreciated,this, hopefully would improve my overall demeanour at this trying time of year, and might even help me with my anglo lessons.I will return them when my man gets back his pad and biro.( he says bright coloured ones work best) Will be in sunny Mayo over the holiday,so can safely say,with all sincerity,-I have played for you at Knock- Ferry Merry Christmas :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by zimbotut

Could you possibly lend me 14 of your capsules?

Jimmy, the only capsules I'm taking are for a broken ankle, have you got one too ? :P

Will be in sunny Mayo over the holiday,so can safely say,with all sincerity,-I have played for you at Knock

I too have played there, though not for yourself, but I wasn't too impressed with the local spa water, and can't see why people want to take some home with them. Give my regards to Joe. ;)

Melly Christmas, by George !

Edited by Stephen Chambers

It must be the time of year, (sounds like the ramblings of an overworked postman to me).

Or a tired old Missionary (to the lost tribes of the Portobello Road & Ladbroke Grove ?) about to catch a flight to Dublin and hire a car to come west along the road ?

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face;

the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,

may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

[traditional Irish blessing]

Welcome home Fr. Shiels ! :rolleyes: