The Dovetail Trio

The Dovetail Trio, featuring young English folk musicians Jamie Roberts, Rosie Hood, and Matt Quinn on duet concertina, have just released their debut album, Wing of Evening.

I particularly like their version of Two Magicians.

It's available on iTunes, Amazon and:

http://rootbeatrecords.com/opencart/index.php?route=product%2Fproduct&path=59&product_id=72

Thanks for the hint, Alex - and yes, it's on spotify too (guess they've got me hooked with all those loads of great music) - and as to Matt (whom I'd only heard with the Melodeon as yet, most notably singing "Under the Sea..." :D) and his fellow folkies, the song you're mentioning has in fact fresh and lovely singing, and a quite interesting percussive approach to the concertina accompaniment..., looking forward to listening to the entire album...

Yes, I've just spent a week playing with Matt Quinn- and his dad Dan, a great melodeon player - at Whitby Folk Week.Matt is exceptional, 'cos he's only been playing the McCann duet for a couple of years. The Dovetail Trio also includes Jamie Roberts, who is the brother of my singing daughter-in-law Kathryn Roberts.(Lakeman and Roberts )I've written elsewhere that I've never seen - or heard- so many concertinas as at Whitby, of all systems, including all types of various duets.You could not , literally, walk down the street, without bumping into someone carrying a concertina case. My duet workshop was well attanded.. and the likes of Alistair Anderson and John Kirkpatrick also gave workshops on English and Anglo..I would say - to anyone, anywhere in the world- Whitby is THE best festival I have been to yet for free-reed enthusiasts.You would find plenty of players - of mixed ability-to swop notes with.(Previous to this, the biggest gathering I have been to was a NESI about 10 years ago.The general standard of ' tina playing was, I thought, very high. And this was across song accompaniment, players in tune sessions, and musicians with the 18 different ritual dance sides that were at the event ( including very impressive Rapper sides.)

There were also two or three stalls - including the " brand-leading Barleycorn Concertinas (Chris Algar) that had dozens of tinas to buy, try and handle...plus repairs and advice on playing and buying.

The Dovetail Trio, featuring young English folk musicians Jamie Roberts, Rosie Hood, and Matt Quinn on duet concertina, have just released their debut album, Wing of Evening.

I particularly like their version of Two Magicians.

It's available on iTunes, Amazon and:

http://rootbeatrecords.com/opencart/index.php?route=product%2Fproduct&path=59&product_id=72

On Youtube too, at Shepley festival. (Not that I'm suggesting you shouldn't buy the album :o) Very nice arrangement.

They feature on the cover of this month's English Dance and Song and in the regular "Singer, Song and Source" feature, with articles on the trio, The Two Magicians and Mr Sparkes the blacksmith, from whom Sharpe collected it in Minehead in 1904. They say Matt may have switched to duet to avoid replicating the sound singer Rosie Hood was making with melodeonist Ollie King. A bit extreme but it seems to have worked nicely. Jamie has a definite likeness to his sister, though not as lovely of course.