A New Type Of Tablature For The English Concertina

I have been working on a new kind of tablature for English Concertina. Even though I can read music I have found by using this tablature I can play more fluently. I have made a short film to explain:-

You can download the tab sheet here:-
www.daddylongles.com - go to "Concertina Music" and look for "Morning Has Broken"

I have made this very easy tune my first example.

This tab could be adapted for other English Concertinas. The one I play is a 30 button "Jackie" treble instrument.

Great Idea,

I have been messing about with notation for newbies and attached PDF for you to look at.

I am aware that there is NO Key signature, but have found out if a person is very new to music, less is sometimes best, and the accidentals are shown on this method

I hope that it may give you a different view point, as I was a little thrown with the tabs, could be I'm wrong but any tool which helps promote "reading the dots" in theory

be better for the person in the long run?

Best wishes and regards to Lester.

Dave

Albury-signed.pdf

• 1 month later...

@Daddy Long Les

Just wanted to say thanks for all your videos and tabs. I'm just starting with EC myself and am finding your information quite useful. I've been making myself tabs following your system and it's taught me not only the buttons but also how to read the treble clef (I grew up playing trombone so only messed with bass clef). And along the way I've also learned how to read and edit .abc files, to get from them to sheet music and from that to your tab format. All this knowledge gained in the week between deciding to buy a Jackie and waiting for it to arrive. I feel this has given me a bit of a head start with it. So thanks again.

@Daddy Long Les

Just wanted to say thanks for all your videos and tabs. I'm just starting with EC myself and am finding your information quite useful. I've been making myself tabs following your system and it's taught me not only the buttons but also how to read the treble clef (I grew up playing trombone so only messed with bass clef). And along the way I've also learned how to read and edit .abc files, to get from them to sheet music and from that to your tab format. All this knowledge gained in the week between deciding to buy a Jackie and waiting for it to arrive. I feel this has given me a bit of a head start with it. So thanks again.

Nice to hear from you. Lots of luck with your Jackie and do let me know how you are getting on from time to time.

Les