Recomendations For Ios Apps

I finally broke down and bought an Apple iPad mainly to use Thumbjam and Michael Eskin's concertina fonts.

I have never used an iOS device before so I would like some advice on useful music production apps. There is a bewildering array to choose from and, AFAICT, unlike Android you have to buy to try.

What apps do you guys like?

For example: midi synths, ABC apps, score viewers, DAWs (very simple ones), music theory apps, ear trainers, keyboard simulators, tuners, metronomes,...

Thx. Don.

I was disappointed to find that Michael's Duettina app is not available for the iPad. It would be really nice if he would make a 46+ button version for the iPad...

I really like Cleartune for tuners, largely because it has all the fiddly little setting for different temperaments and intonations, plus transposing, setting any given note at any given hz and building the scales from there, etc.

I got SunrizerXS as a DAW to use with my little KMI Midi keyboard, but I'm totally new to DAWs so haven't done much to wring it out yet.

I have a ton of music apps that I downloaded early on and eventually deleted for lack of use. Probably a normal experience, and one that taught me a lot. They cost next to nothing, and of course I could always reinstall any of them if the need arose.

But I use Auria daily for recording and am very happy with it. It's native to iOS and takes advantage of the iPad's strengths in all kinds of clever ways. If it's more than you want or need, MultiTrack DAW is also pretty impressive. In the recording department I also rely pretty heavily on AudioShare and Final Touch.

A (free) DropBox account is very useful for moving sound files around, particularly if you want to have access to them on a PC as well. Tunebook and forScore are both worth having for written music, and Symphony Pro is handy when I have to put something in standard notation myself.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

I use:

• Thumbjamb, BS-16i, SampleTank, GarageBand, SE Player (as midi synths)
  • ForScore (for PDF scores)
  • Tunebook SD, The Craic, Abc Session Viewer (for ABC music)
  • Amazing Slow Downer (does what it says on the tin)
  • Tunepal (for recognising unknown tunes)
  • UltraTuner (for tuning reeds)
  • MidiTinaXL (as virtual tina)
  • PlayScore Pro (for reading scores and playing them)

Regards,

I'm very keen on

Funkbox -- a set of vintage drum machines, including LinnDrum, Roland CR78/707/808/909

Rebirth -- better on iPad than iPhone. 2 Roland 303s, an 808 and a 909

Animoog -- a full blown software Moog synthesiser

iTablaPro -- brilliant tanpura drones, and very nicely sampled tabla patterns

Korg iElectribe -- sequencer/ software synth/drum machine thingy. Classic squelchy synth noises, emulated valve overdrive

I finally broke down and bought an Apple iPad mainly to use Thumbjam and Michael Eskin's concertina fonts.

I have never used an iOS device before so I would like some advice on useful music production apps. There is a bewildering array to choose from and, AFAICT, unlike Android you have to buy to try.

Other beat me to it.

For me, the AMazing Slow Downer is indispensable. I have used it for years, first as PC software, but the IOS version is much better.

I use ITunes as my music player. I hate it, totally hate it, but haven't found anything better, and it integrates perfectly with the SLow Downer. And I have almost all my music on my iPhone, so ... well, I'm stuck with it.

For notation I use ForScore. I have mostly given up ABCs for storing tunes, now just keep the PDFs - since disk space is no longer an issue - and view / sort them with ForScore.

I sometimes use Live BPM to check out my speeds.

I have recorded on my iDevices, but mostly use my Zoom h2n, so I don't have much experience.

When I was using ABCs a lot I used Tunebook. But ABCs are so very yesterday. I still acquire a lot of tunes in ABC format, but quickly convert them to PDFs.

Oh, and Dropbox for sharing tunes with various bands and posting MP3s to the TUne of the Month here on c.net.

I was disappointed to find that Michael's Duettina app is not available for the iPad. It would be really nice if he would make a 46+ button version for the iPad...

Duettina works just fine on my iPad 2 with iOS 8.2. The buttons are rather large, and there are a limited number, but it was playing around with it that convinced me i wanted a mirrored left side.

Duettina works just fine on my iPad 2 with iOS 8.2. The buttons are rather large, and there are a limited number, but it was playing around with it that convinced me i wanted a mirrored left side.

Ditto. You can choose standard "iPhone-size" display (which is too small) or twice as big, (which is a little bigger than just right, and, I suspect, is what rlgph refers to, above).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Michael, I think that I asked you this question before but I am afraid that I have forgotten the answer. I have used your concertina patch on Thumbjam but is there a patch anywhere that is the same as that used on the miditina which I believe is an Edeophone? I have a midi concertina and enjoy simulating other instruments, but I would also like to play the concertina silently at times through my Ipad. Thanks.