Jackie/jack Fingering Triads

donmcl

The suggested way of making basic triads such as C-E-G on English concertina seems to be to use one finger for 2 buttons (in this case for the C and G). I'm finding it really difficult to do that on my Jackie concertina (using 3 fingers equally or more difficult). I haven't had access to other concertinas so I'm wondering if the problem is me or something to do with the buttons on the Jackie. Any help welcome

Hi Don (?),

I've never held a Jack or Jackie in my hands, but it might be worth mentioning another aspect:

Triads I use quite rarely, and they might not the way to start chord/harmony playing on the EC IMO. I would suggest to start with open fifth (with no fingering issues), with the melody (or another tone in the higher ocatve) completing the harmnony...

Best wishes - Wolf

Hi, I've owned a Jackie and still own a Jack alongside several vintage concertinas. The button spacing and spring pressure of the Jack and Jackie are very close to those of my Wheatstones (although they all vary fractionally). The very slight difference would be forgotton about after a few minutes of playing any individual concertina. I would use three fingers for a stretched triad like D maj with the F# in the middle but only two fingers for close triads like G maj and C maj. This seems very natural and easy to me but perhaps my fingertips are larger than yours.

Edited to add that I would use just one finger to play the 'open fifth' Wolf mentions above.

Edited by Pete Dunk

Hi, I've owned a Jackie and still own a Jack alongside several vintage concertinas. The button spacing and spring pressure of the Jack and Jackie are very close to those of my Wheatstones (although they all vary fractionally). The very slight difference would be forgotton about after a few minutes of playing any individual concertina. I would use three fingers for a stretched triad like D maj with the F# in the middle but only two fingers for close triads like G maj and C maj. This seems very natural and easy to me but perhaps my fingertips are larger than yours.

I can add that I rarely play a triad that way on my Lachenal (even if I use one from time to time); don't know why, but it felt always easier and/or safer to use three fingers... (however I'm playing with eight fingers and don't ever use the "pinky rests", apart from some occasional single-note melody playing).

Best wishes - Wolf