Children's Concertina

I just received a "Woodstock Kid's Concertina" the other day and thought that it might be of interest here. It is a made of plastic with no wooden parts. It has brass reeds and is anglo type instrument; set up more like a melodeon than a concertina with 7 buts on the right side and 3 on the left one being an air valve and the othe two a bass note and chord. I got it through Mud Pie Productions but it is made by a company called Woodstock Percussion, Inc. www.chimes.com

This isn't going to hurt any of the current builders but for $30 it's cute as a button. You can see it by going to: http://www.my-occ.net/wp/cat/music_index.html It is at the bottom of the page.

Have any of you seen this? By the way it's made in China.

Howie

Similar models are sold by many folks as Hero, Schillying, etc. No doubt the same factory. I saw them on Olvera Street in central LA a year ago for cheaper than anywhere else (and some cool colors too, even purple!); I may fall for one when I am in L.A. next month! They are fun if very air-hungry, I have a red one somewhere back in Indiana.

I saw them on Olvera Street in central LA a year ago for cheaper than anywhere else (and some cool colors too, even purple!); I may fall for one when I am in L.A. next month! 

Hey, I bought mine on Olvera Street, about 5 years ago ! They were on a toy stall and the lady seemed pretty surprised when I picked it up and started to play tunes on it.

Now I buy them 2 cartons at a time and sell lots of them in my shop.

These are neat little instruments - if you open them up, you can tape off one bank of reeds for a "dry" sound. I think there's a document on the Web that details this procedure, but I haven't looked for it for years.

You can also get these in "D" from one source that I know of - www.irishdancemaster.com. This company imports Chinese button accordions, and has made a deal with the factory for a batch of the 7-button minis in D. The only downside is that they're more expensive ($40).

Best,

Tim Hall

• 15 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 5:31 AM, Bassconcertina.net said:

does any one know if you can still get these

Yep, if you are talking about the ones in C. You can find them on Amazon, Ebay, and most music shops. I have a broken second hand one and despite some missing reeds etc. it is a surprisingly well-built instrument with a sweet sound.

Oskar

On 2/16/2020 at 5:31 AM, Bassconcertina.net said:

does any one know if you can still get these

Since 2004, when this thread was started by Radioboy about his "Woodstock Kid's Concertina", I've learned that exactly such an instrument DID exist (though his link never worked for me to see it at the time), but it was basically a toy button accordion (with 7 keys on the right-hand side, and 3 on the left) in a concertina-shaped hexagonal body. Here's the right-hand side of one:

Woodstock%20Kids%20Concertina%20rh.jpg

In the meantime I think most of us (not surprisingly, all considered) got confused about exactly what the instrument was because we'd only seen the toy accordions with the same number of buttons.

The toy accordions are still readily available, but the concertina-shaped ones haven't been available for a number of years.

On 12/11/2004 at 5:12 PM, Radioboy said:

Opps! I just realize that you have to click on "new for 2004" on the left side of the page then look at the bottom of the page. Howie

The link  doesn’t even work?.  if you could play it the thing and just post it here that would be great.

7 hours ago, Bassconcertina.net said:

The link  doesn’t even work?.  if you could play it the thing and just post it here that would be great.

And I'm afraid radioboy (Howie L.) is now playing with the angels and can no longer help us. He is remembered here on Squeezer's Green. By the way, the North East Squeeze-In is a great event, if you aren't familiar with it and anywhere near the northeastern U.S.

Ken