Fingering On Congress Reel

SusanW

Seeking opinions of the best way(s) to play The Congress Reel https://thesession.org/tunes/208. I taught myself to play with pushing the RH e, pulling the LH A (c row) ....and pulling the RH d.......then I took a class with Noel Hill and I got the impression that in 9 times out of 10 I should use the LH d/e on the G row. If I do that- should I then pull the A on the G row????

I am playing a 30 button C/G and I have long fingers and my right hand is stronger than my left hand, if that makes any difference. Thanks,

Susan

Susan--

If you're talking about the first measure of the tune, why not pull the LH e, per Noel Hill's preference, then press the A on the accidental row, followed by a pressed G on the C row and another pressed A on the accidental row? The bellows reversal right after the first note gives the opening phrase a nice pop, I think.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

• 11 months later...

eAAGA can be played all on the push
But Noel doesn't like smoothing the tune out - he likes changes of direction - and again, he would want a cut on the A which is easier on the pull
The over-riding question should always be ........ what ornaments do I want? Which direction are they available in?