Whitby Concertina Workshop

I am performing solo from Sat, Aug 22 until Fri Aug 28 at Whitby Folk Week - looking forward very much to meeting up again with Alistair Anderson( who I met at Dartmoor Folk festival and John Kirkpatrick ( who I bumped into at Sidmouth ), plus all and any other concertina players.

My gigs at Whitby include the following, which may be of interest to concertina players of all systems. Even if you don't have a duet I hope I can give you suggestions about repertoire,performance/ arrangements and song accompaniment:

"FOLK AND BEYOND ON THE DUET CONCERTINA"

Mon, Aug 24 10.00- 11.20 in the Conservative Club Bar)

Geoff Lakeman explores music ( especially songs) he's developed on the duet concertina- in particular

1920's/ 30's jazz standards, country blues and contemporary/ modern songs.For those interested, I will also have with me a virtually mint/ vintage ( 67 yrs old) Wheatstone Triumph/ Crane duet for sale (approx £2,000 ).It has 55 buttons, nickel-plated ends and six-fold bellows , brass reeds and a mellow tone particularly suited to song accompaniment.

Between your Wheatstone and the Crabb 48b metal-ended that another member posted, this month has been a tough month for me to be practical in! I really can't make any big purchases this year since I'm helping a friend start a new business and paychecks are still months and months away, but I may be tracking one of these Cranes down in the future... Meanwhile I'm still on Wim's waitlist for a Hayden, and my Beaumont is being babysit by a classical cellist in the US, while I'm trying to get a Stagi 20b sent over to West Africa since I'd hate to ruin anything nicer in this tough climate. This is a hard year to be a concertinist...

That aside, any chance you can share some of your notes or observations from the class here with us? I've really enjoyed your work on YouTube, so any general advice you have as an experience Duettist would be most welcome.

Hi Matthew -

I had no plans to video this workshop or suchlike. However if someone else asks to phone-film and post it I'll have no objections. Likewise, if anyone should post a review of the workshop I'll make sure it gets copied to you."Let the music keep your spirits high"

• 3 weeks later...