Jeffries 39Key Anglo Ab/eb Old Pitch.

Ptarmigan

I managed to hang onto this wonderful Concertina for a little longer, but it will sadly now have to go, which is why I have just posted it on a certain auction site.

This wonderful old Concertina was first bought on the 26th of June 1899, by one Albert Canacott {1881 to 1956}, new from Mr Charles Jeffries & signed by himself ..... & I actually have the receipt! (See Photo)

When Albert died, in 1956, it passed down to his son, who you can see on the right, in the old family photo.

It cost Albert the princely sum of £7 & 7 Shillings, although on the day he actually only laid down £2 & 2 Shillings.

However, the only other time this Concertina ever actually changed hands for money, was in 2010, when I bought it from Albert's Grandson.

Neither Albert's son, nor his Grandson, ever learned to play this instrument, so it has only ever had two 'playing' owners.

It is in old pitch too, so I haven't actually played it very often in the past 4 years, so of course, there's a lot of life left in this old dog.

Sadly, Albert's whole company was killed in a Mustard Gas attack, during the first World War & as they were clearing away the bodies, they actually found Albert, still alive under a pile of bodies!

Can you imagine how that must have felt, being the only survivor! blink.gif
Needless to say, he always had trouble with his lungs after that, but still managed to reach the ripe old age of 75!

To give you an idea of just how gorgeous the reeds sound, here are a couple of videos of me playing this Concertina.

Selections of Reels & Polkas, plus a selection of tunes myself & a few friends played for a TV show, Blas Ceoil, set in our local session pub.

2 Reels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNwGM-ieEXc

Tunes on TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIep29006Q

Set of Polkas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMkP0-MdSE

I have posted some photographs to give an idea of the condition of this instrument. The original case & receipt will of course be included in the sale.

Its present pitch is between present day G/D & Ab/Eb, so it could be lightly tuned either way.

As the reeds are in their original state though, they will undoubtedly be in excellent condition for such a re-tune & so will still maintain that gorgeous tone that you only get with a quality vintage instrument like this.

The bellows are also original & I have just never had the heart to replace those, especially as it plays so well, as it is, but if this Concertina is going to be played seriously, following a re-tune, then new bellows would probably be required.

Other than that it is in excellent shape for an instrument that is now about 116 years old.

For the lucky buyer, this will probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity to get their hands on such an exquisite instrument, with those gorgeous Jeffries Reeds in original condition, not whittled away to thin, pale, weak & wasted versions of their former selves, as is the case with so many old Jeffries out there today, that have sadly suffered a number of re-tunes over the years.

For anyone living in Ireland, who is seriously interested in this instrument, please note that I am happy to meet up with them at a halfway point, should they wish an opportunity to actually check this Concertina out for themselves.

Should I need to send this instrument, it will be by using Tracking & e.g. Fedex for the likes of North America, so costs to the buyer could be as much as £100, but much less of course for the UK & Europe.

As I say, it is on eBay at the moment, but I am open to offers from anyone who would be seriously interested.

post-2037-0-29424600-1438866189_thumb.jpg

post-2037-0-40304100-1438866244_thumb.jpg

post-2037-0-67840600-1438866262_thumb.jpg

post-2037-0-67936200-1438866295_thumb.jpg

post-2037-0-84179200-1438866313_thumb.jpg

post-2037-0-10696400-1438866357_thumb.jpg

post-2037-0-93080100-1438866394_thumb.jpg

post-2037-0-86014500-1438866419_thumb.jpg

post-2037-0-30289400-1438866451_thumb.jpg

post-2037-0-37131500-1438866828_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ptarmigan

Four children, and off he goes to war!

I wonder what he had in his left breast pocket. There seems to be a bit of a bulge there. Notebook? Cigarette or cigar case?

Whomever buys this will not only have a wonderful instrument, but a wonderful history along with it. I'd certainly love to know something about the history of my 1915 Wheatstone!

Four children, and off he goes to war!

I wonder what he had in his left breast pocket. There seems to be a bit of a bulge there. Notebook? Cigarette or cigar case?

Whomever buys this will not only have a wonderful instrument, but a wonderful history along with it. I'd certainly love to know something about the history of my 1915 Wheatstone!

Yes Mike, unlike most Wheatstones, there aren't too many Jeffries around, to which the exact selling date is known.

Fortunately, he came home after that dreadful War & had a good few years to enjoy his Concertina.

Cheers,

Dick