Musical Tributes To Nelson Stained Glass Windows.

I recently discovered magnificent stained glass windows in a local church hall, which are a tribute to Lord Nelson at Trafalgar.

They set me thinking about tunes that have Nelson or Trafalgar in the title & these videos are the result.

Trafalgar Hornpipe!

Instruments: English Concertina, Hammered Dulcimer, Mandolin & Tenor Guitar

Bold Nelson's Praise!

Instruments: English Concertina, Nyckelharpa, Tenor Guitar & Side Drum.

The Death of Nelson!

Instruments: English Concertina, Hammered Dulcimer, Mandolin & Side Drum.

Cheers,

Dick

Dick, one of my favourites might be mentioned here:

"Carrying Nelson Home", a song by Mike O'Connor (who is a fantastic songwriter by the way), recorded by Martyn Windham-Read and included on his fantastic "Oceans in The Sky" Album.

I'm simply loving this song and take!

Best wishes - Wolf

I recently discovered magnificent stained glass windows in a local church hall, which are a tribute to Lord Nelson at Trafalgar.

They set me thinking about tunes that have Nelson or Trafalgar in the title & these videos are the result.

Trafalgar Hornpipe!

Bold Nelson's Praise!

The Death of Nelson!

I'm repeatedly getting an error on that third YouTube video. The other two are fine.

Bold Nelson's Praise! is interesting, in that it seems to be a hybrid of two Morris tunes... A part of Princess Royal and B part of I'll Go Enlist For a Sailor. The latter tune is also a song, a favorite of a Swedish friend of mine, while Princess Royal is a candidate for this month's (August 2015) Theme of the Month. Maybe you should post your link there, too?

Trafalgar Hornpipe!

Bold Nelson's Praise!

The Death of Nelson!

I'm repeatedly getting an error on that third YouTube video. The other two are fine.

Bold Nelson's Praise! is interesting, in that it seems to be a hybrid of two Morris tunes... A part of Princess Royal and B part of I'll Go Enlist For a Sailor. The latter tune is also a song, a favorite of a Swedish friend of mine, while Princess Royal is a candidate for this month's (August 2015) Theme of the Month. Maybe you should post your link there, too?

Thanks Jim.

I've no idea why you can't access that third video.

I've checked on YouTube & they're all set to public & all three links work fine for me & I know others have watched them all, from the same links on another forum.

... ALIENS!!!

All I could find out about Bold Nelson's Praise was that it was first in print in the 'Complete Dancing Master' of 1730.

Of course I'm happy to post the link to it, over on the other forum. :)

Cheers,

Dick

Dick, one of my favourites might be mentioned here:

"Carrying Nelson Home", a song by Mike O'Connor (who is a fantastic songwriter by the way), recorded by Martyn Windham-Read and included on his fantastic "Oceans in The Sky" Album.

I'm simply loving this song and take!

Best wishes - Wolf

Thanks for the suggestion. I found the video of Mike singing it on The Victory :)

... & Martyn's video too.

Cheers,

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

Bold Nelson's Praise! is interesting, in that it seems to be a hybrid of two Morris tunes... A part of Princess Royal and B part of I'll Go Enlist For a Sailor.

All I could find out about Bold Nelson's Praise was that it was first in print in the 'Complete Dancing Master' of 1730.

That's very interesting. Being the hybrid that I've noted, I was wondering if it was a contemporary construction, possibly even a song where the author had deliberately built that combination. So maybe something like that happened back in the 1700s? Or maybe not. It's probably impossible to know.

Dick, I'm really glad about my posting as it has been leading to watching this lovely video with Mike's own singing (and self-accompaniment on the concertina, very nice even with Iris' sounds in mind which are always so sweet to my ears) tonight (which I hadn't been aware of).

Best wishes - Wolf

Dick, my apologies for having entirely missed your point as yet - videos with your own playing the tunes, and picturing the windows...

Found the tracks on SC and then got the idea about your videos - lovely music and production, I really enjoyed all of this stuff!

Cheers - Wolf

Dick, my apologies for having entirely missed your point as yet - videos with your own playing the tunes, and picturing the windows...

Found the tracks on SC and then got the idea about your videos - lovely music and production, I really enjoyed all of this stuff!

Cheers - Wolf

Glad you enjoyed them. :)

I must thank you for pointing me in the direction of Mike's great song, too.

I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn that I've added it to my wee collection of tribute videos, to those who created the stained glass windows. ;)

Carrying Nelson Home!

Played on my Bari/Treble, Fiddle & Whistle.

Cheers,

Dick

Perhaps you could add the tune that I know as "Jolly tars of the Victory" aka "News of the Victory" or "Tars of the victory"

Here's a version on concertina. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gtGnHEamtM(Ian Bell on Anglo)

Hi,

Thanks for that link. :)

It certainly is a jolly wee tune, which is great, as lots of the tunes I have so far are rather sad.

Cheers,

Dick

A few months back I had the pleasure of joining the Bristol Shantymen for a show commemorating/honouring Nelson and Trafalgar. This included Bold Nelson's Praise and Death of Nelson as songs (to the same tunes) as well as three more to add to the list: The Battle of Boulogne, On Board the Victory, and Nelson's Victory at Copenhagen.

A few months back I had the pleasure of joining the Bristol Shantymen for a show commemorating/honouring Nelson and Trafalgar. This included Bold Nelson's Praise and Death of Nelson as songs (to the same tunes) as well as three more to add to the list: The Battle of Boulogne, On Board the Victory, and Nelson's Victory at Copenhagen.

Thanks for those Chas ... I'm off to Google them. :D

Cheers,

Dick

If you have trouble finding them, the Bristol Shantymen can be contacted through The Hotwells Howlers website. Or I do have some recordings of practices for that gig which I wouldn't make public but could send you individually for the purpose of learning a song.

Thanks for the offer. As I learn all my music by ear, those recordings would be very helpful indeed, especially as I could only find a link to a recording of one of them, on the net.

Cheers,

Dick

If you have trouble finding them, the Bristol Shantymen can be contacted through The Hotwells Howlers website. Or I do have some recordings of practices for that gig which I wouldn't make public but could send you individually for the purpose of learning a song.

Thanks for the offer. As I learn all my music by ear, those recordings would be very helpful indeed, especially as I could only find a link to a recording of one of them, on the net.

Cheers,

Dick

OK. I'll get onto it. The recordings aren't always of the whole song so OK for learning tunes but I'm assuming you've found the words. I'll scout through files to see if I have any copies of words.

Cheers,

Dick

OK. I'll get onto it. The recordings aren't always of the whole song so OK for learning tunes but I'm assuming you've found the words. I'll scout through files to see if I have any copies of words.

Thanks Chas,

No hurry & please don't worry about the lyrics as I don't sing myself. It's just the melody I'm interested in.

Cheers,

Dick