John Connor & Lachenal Concertinas For Sale

Nutmeg

In order to re-gain some brownie points I am selling two of my concertinas:

A John Connor Lachenal reeded 31 button CG. Bought from Chris Algar about 4 years ago and played regularly but lightly since. Excellent condition with a very good tone and response; it is unfortunately playing second fiddle (?) to my Jefferies, so I need to part with it. I am looking for £2000 plus carriage

post-986-0-67563800-1438107929_thumb.jpgpost-986-0-95091100-1438107948_thumb.jpgpost-986-0-37476500-1438107967_thumb.jpg

A Rosewood 20 button CG Lachenal No 67### (badged for Beare & Sons). Again bought from Chris Algar about 10 years ago. This is a beautiful instrument with excellent fretwork and six fold green bellows. The action and response is as good as you could want and the istrument is very light. I've not played this instrument for some years because of the lack of the 3rd row, but if you don't need the extra notes this is a good choice. I would like £450 for this plus carriage.

post-986-0-10577600-1438107989_thumb.jpgpost-986-0-20633700-1438108050_thumb.jpg

Both concertinas are in modern tuning and come with a gig bag; the Lachenal also has an original (?) useable wooden box.

I am located in South Cheshire, where both instruments can be viewed daytime or evening.

These are not advertised elsewhere, so a donation to Concertina.net will sent if either is sold.

Peter

Edited by Nutmeg

Maybe I am asking too little for it. I see that Hobgoblin have two JCs in at considerably more money, but none of the three have sold yet!!

Connor concertinas are not flavour of the month right now. I have one and have also seen a few for sale. No takers on what is a reasonable price for a very well made and fantastic sounding instrument. People want old, doesn't matter that it costs a fortune to get it in playing condition. It is only because mine is g/c that it is for sale, I would keep it if I could afford to but now playing a d/g it takes second place. Keep it for a while longer, someday soon somebody will be selling their hybrid and moving on to a traditional box and once they hear it they will have your arm off.

Rob,

you are probably correct. I too have succumbed to the lure of a Jefferies, but I think the Connor is pretty much its equal. Like you say, the sound is great, and you can get that vintage sound with a modern mechanism and non-leaky bellows!

I will perhaps try it on e-bay at a slightly lower price, and see what happens.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations Johnnyace, I bet you could not believe how good they are when you first played it. You would have to go a long way to find the equivalent in a modern instrument. Not that the other are bad, but these give you the feeling what it was like to play when the old makes were new.

but these give you the feeling what it was like to play when the old makes were new.

Thanks, Rob - you are exactly right in the way you have summed up. With John Connor's links to the Crabbs and the fact that old Lachenal reeds are used there's a couple of strong lines back into concertina history, but this is a new box!