Air Button?

Hi all, I recently got myself a Lachanel 20 button anglo, and after a couple of weeks I am starting to play some nice tunes. It seemed pretty hard at first to start adding my left hand, but the penny started to drop yesterday, and it sounds so much better, although obviously I have a long way to go to become a decent player. My main concern is the air button, as I seem to struggle for air if there are a few repetertive pushes or pulls. My thumb seems to be in the correct position, but I don't have the strength to press it by pushing my thumb sideways. Will this come after a while of trying, as my thumb gets stronger or should I change my technique somehow, before it gets set in my memory, and becomes difficult if I leave it too late? Hope you understand, as I'm sure some beginners will have had the same problems, when they started out.

It doesn't take strength, it takes timing. You need to time the press of the air button to the right part of the tune - some tunes provide more opportunities than others. It took me a year of playing before using the air button started to feel natural. Now I seldom notice it.

As you improve, you will play faster and lighter so you will get to the end of the bellows less often. You will also learn to balance the number of notes in your accompaniment to help to manage the air supply.

When you use the air button, little and often is best: sip the air rather than taking big gulps.

Stick at it - it is hugely rewarding when it starts to come together.

Edited by Mikefule

Perhaps the spring is too strong? It needs to seal properly when closed, but if it's difficult to push you should have a proper concertina repair person have a look at it. Being an older instrument, who knows what kind of spring someone might have added later.

Gary

I was practising tonight and tried to analyse what I do with the air button to see if I could give you more advice.

I time the air button with the music, and I find that if I play a note and caress the air button at the same time, the back of my hand braces slightly against the strap. There is virtually no physical effort involved. It is simply a case of timing the movement.

I used to struggle with the air button. Now is only in those occasional "all in one direction" tunes that require a little bit of planning, otherwise, the air button just looks after itself.

• 1 month later...

Hi Zenaida - the air button on many concertinas is too short - even on top end hand made models. I got mine extended by Colin Dipper and it worked perfectly. Even on my original Lachenal I just glued a cap onto the top of the button and that worked.

You shouldn't have to bend your thumb inwards hardly at all and it definitely shouldn't be uncomfortable. Also as someone else said, the spring shouldn't be to strong either. Its very common to have to make changes to the straps/buckles/buttons/springs to get a concertina just right.

For air button technique, you can also practise playing notes while easing the air button in - just enough so the note keeps going , but the bellows move faster than they would do otherwise! This can ease the impact of notes - mostly on slow tunes, in time hopefully I'll do some youtube vids on this and other stuff. The air button is vital to get right, if it's used in the right place in a tune everything is easier... Cheers Mike Fairbairn.