"75 Irish Session Tunes For Anglo Concertina"

gcoover

Are any of the tunes in "Irish Session" played on YouTube as in the other books? I must say that Gary's other books are phenomenal! The books coupled with the video and played music is an outstanding way to learn as it covers all ways to learn--the visual in the books and watching the tunes played for button and bellow coordination, the auditory--to actually hear what they're supposed to sound like, and the tactile when practicing with all of them. Bravo Gary!

WallyS

Wally, glad you like the books and thanks so much for the kind words! So far I've only posted a very uncharacteristic harmonic-style version of "Eleanor Plunkett", but I'll eventually get to all of them and then perhaps reissue the book with QR codes. I suppose I could blame the record-setting hot summer (and no A/C)? Or maybe the author's inability to play them well enough? The day job gets in the way too...

Just don't take the printed/posted versions as "gospel" - they're just one way to play these great tunes - hopefully they're a good start for folks like yourself to come up with their own great versions!

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary,

I have just bought your book of Irish Tunes on Amazon. I'm in the UK and although I've been playing English for a while, I've just picked up a couple of budget 20 button Anglos and have started teaching myself.

I've been working on your free sample of The Lilting Banshee and I absolutely love it hence my purchase. I've been doing some Video Blogs on this site about my "journey" with the Anglo and will definitely feature this tune and give you a mention in my next blog if that's ok. I've looked at a lot of your excellent videos and I'm very impressed.

Please can you tell me what your concertina is btw - it sounds really lovely?!

Anyway, I'll be looking for the postman eagerly later on this week, in the meantime I've got the "Banshee" to work on. I know that I won't be able to play some of the tunes in the book with a 20 button but hey! - what a great excuse to justify buying a 30 button!!

Very Best Wishes

Les

Les,

Glad you are enjoying your concertina so much - you can do quite a lot with a 20-button, a lot more than most people think. About half of the tunes in the Irish book can be played on a 20-button, and you might be able to fake your way through a few others if the C# isn't too critical. You might want to check out some of the tunes in "Civil War Concertina" - there are samples here on Cnet and with "Look Inside" on Amazon - since every tune in that book can be played on a 20-button Anglo, many with full chords and accompaniments.

I consider myself very lucky to play a 30-button C/G made by the late Harold Herrington. It's nice to have something made by a longtime friend, and although he didn't build very many and it seems every one is a bit different, this particular one is strong and stout with quite a good tone for a hybrid (the cheap videocam microphone doesn't begin to do it justice). I have other Anglos, but this one is by far my favorite and I like being able to show what a hybrid instrument can be capable of.

Hope you find the notation and tablature helpful. I went through a bunch of different notation systems until realizing that simplest and easiest was the best way for me to learn (and hopefully others as well). It should be a good crutch to help you get started until you learn the patterns and perhaps even learn to read musical notes someday. Enjoy your voyage of discovery!

Gary

Les,

Glad you are enjoying your concertina so much - you can do quite a lot with a 20-button, a lot more than most people think. About half of the tunes in the Irish book can be played on a 20-button, and you might be able to fake your way through a few others if the C# isn't too critical. You might want to check out some of the tunes in "Civil War Concertina" - there are samples here on Cnet and with "Look Inside" on Amazon - since every tune in that book can be played on a 20-button Anglo, many with full chords and accompaniments.

I consider myself very lucky to play a 30-button C/G made by the late Harold Herrington. It's nice to have something made by a longtime friend, and although he didn't build very many and it seems every one is a bit different, this particular one is strong and stout with quite a good tone for a hybrid (the cheap videocam microphone doesn't begin to do it justice). I have other Anglos, but this one is by far my favorite and I like being able to show what a hybrid instrument can be capable of.

Hope you find the notation and tablature helpful. I went through a bunch of different notation systems until realizing that simplest and easiest was the best way for me to learn (and hopefully others as well). It should be a good crutch to help you get started until you learn the patterns and perhaps even learn to read musical notes someday. Enjoy your voyage of discovery!

Gary

Yes, I may well get your Civil War book as well - it definitely appeals to me and I like the sound of the videos that go with it. I can read music but use my own tab that I invented for the English a few months back and recently adapted to my Anglo needs. Having said that, I have no trouble following your Anglo tab Gary. All the best to you!

Gary, is there any plan to offer any of these books as ebooks? I'm trying to cut down on paper books since I travel a lot, plus the cost savings of not having to print and store physical books must be of some use, especially for small-run specialized works like yours.

I'm about to get the ebook version of the Essential Guide to the Irish Flute and Tin Whistle. I owned a paper copy, but it's 500 pages and weighs over three pounds, so no way I'm hauling that out to the boondocks. I'll be much happier being able to fit both my instrument (3-piece takedown tin whistle) and a huge extensive book for it in the same trouser pocket. ^_^

• 7 years later...

Hello. I'm new to the concertina and have already bought a couple of your books, which I appreciate. I find that none of the retail sites where they're for sales (Amazon etc.) include the song titles. I'm looking at this Irish arrangements book now, and I'd like to confirm that I recognize at least a few of the song titles. But I don't see any sample pages or TOC or anything. 

Any hint about some of the better known tunes that would be included in this book?

Thanks,

Rick

On 2/7/2023 at 9:00 AM, Rick Bruner said:

Hello. I'm new to the concertina and have already bought a couple of your books, which I appreciate. I find that none of the retail sites where they're for sales (Amazon etc.) include the song titles. I'm looking at this Irish arrangements book now, and I'd like to confirm that I recognize at least a few of the song titles. But I don't see any sample pages or TOC or anything. 

Any hint about some of the better known tunes that would be included in this book?

Thanks,

Rick

If you click on Look Inside on the Amazon page you can see the table of contents with a full list of the songs.

• Like 1

Very nice book.

Kindle version, now working the first tune, ' The  Banshee'. Noticed on both parts reverse bellows from Push G to draw D, MR LHS 5P 3D ..it first occurs in Bar 2 first part. In other bars the same phrase occurs.

I know this may not be accurate for most players, but I am 'used' to getting my low D on the push off the inside row. And it does not feel as if it is wrong - because there are two bellows changes using the book setting.

Please correct me if wrong.

Thanks

Edited by Notemaker
Error: comment, wrong tune name.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 4:45 PM, Cathasach said:

If you click on Look Inside on the Amazon page you can see the table of contents with a full list of the songs.

I thought I'd done that but didn't see the detail, but now I realize you're right. I went ahead and bought it earlier anyway. I have a friend who's sung a lot of Irish music, who directed me to a bunch of common tunes that I should focus on.

Thanks!
Rick

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 6:59 PM, Notemaker said:

Very nice book.

Kindle version, now working the first tune, ' The  Banshee'. Noticed on both parts reverse bellows from Push G to draw D, MR LHS 5P 3D ..it first occurs in Bar 2 first part. In other bars the same phrase occurs.

I know this may not be accurate for most players, but I am 'used' to getting my low D on the push off the inside row. And it does not feel as if it is wrong - because there are two bellows changes using the book setting.

Please correct me if wrong.

Thanks

Not wrong at all! Just depends on whether you want to smooth out that sequence of notes or give it a more bounce.