Playing Opportunities In England, Scotland October 2015?

Planning a trip to England and Scotland in October, probably toward the end of the month, but dates and specific locations not set yet. Will bring concertina if it looks like there will be opportunities to play.

Three years ago, I attended pub sessions in London at The Horseshoe and The George, and spent an evening playing at Roger Digby's house in Colchester.

Anything similar going on next October?

Thanks

David- I'm booked for the Baring-Gould Fest mentioned above in Oct. And there will be plenty of other concertina players around.

Plus other sessions in the area during the week before and after

Thanks, all, for your responses.

We have regular sessions in Bath and Bradford on Avon (and a decent spare bedroom) happen you should come over our way.

Cheers, Chris

Chris-

I'd love to meet you and Anne. Could you be more specific about dates of the Bath and Bradford on Avon?

You might consider the Arran Concertina Event. For more information see: http://anglo-concertina.net/ace/index.htm

I've wanted to go to the ACE since they first started, but as Jim points out, I won't be able to leave that early.

David- I'm booked for the Baring-Gould Fest mentioned above in Oct. And there will be plenty of other concertina players around.
Plus other sessions in the area during the week before and after

Geoff-

It would be great to see you again. We're looking into whether we can make Baring-Gould fit in with our itinerary.

The West Country Country Concertina Players, Kilve weekend is at the end of October (21st - 23rd October I think). with over 100 concertina players. I am surprised that no one has mentioned this. If there is still time to book, you should add the extra Sunday night session at the local pub.

Inventor.

The West Country Country Concertina Players, Kilve weekend is at the end of October (21st - 23rd October I think). with over 100 concertina players. I am surprised that no one has mentioned this. If there is still time to book, you should add the extra Sunday night session at the local pub.

Inventor.

Thank you, Brian. Those are, indeed, the dates that appeared on the website when I checked, but 21st October is a Wednesday this year, so I e-mailed Colin Campbell who apologized, providing the correct dates: Friday 23rd October to Sunday 25th October. He has since corrected the web site.

Travel plans are still somewhat amorphous.

Thanks, all, for your responses.

You might consider the Arran Concertina Event. For more information see: http://anglo-concertina.net/ace/index.htm

I've wanted to go to the ACE since they first started, but as Jim points out, I won't be able to leave that early.

You'd be most welcome anytime!

• 2 months later...

Trip to England update:

Julie and I (and the concertina) will be in Scotland and England from 22 October to 4 November.
Here are the music-oriented plans as they now stand:
24 Oct: Pub session at Babbity Bowster, Glasgow
26 Oct: Meet with Chris Timson & Anne Gregson, session at The Bear, Bradford on Avon, billeting with Chris & Anne.
27 Oct: Session and billeting with Roger Digby
1 Nov: Pub session at Horseshoe Inn, London
2 Nov: Pub session at The George Inn, London
Brian, Geoff, chrism, sorry we won't be making it to the events you mentioned. Can't do everything, and since Julie is not musical, there's a limit to what I ought to make her endure. ;)
Edited by David Barnert

If you can get to Edinburgh on the 25th, you will be welcome at the Captains Bar session in the evening (8.30-12.30). Where the punters actually listen. (Babbity's gets some terrific musicians, but the crowd noise is unbelievable).

Thanks. The problem is getting back to Glasgow where we're staying that night.

24th October, Saturday afternoon, Midlands Concertina Group is meeting in Nottingham. More details to follow.

We'll still be in Glasgow. But thanks.

Sandy Bell's Bar (Forrest Hill Road) has sessions all the time. As Jack says Captain's Bar is good. You could always do a floor spot at Edinburgh / Leith Folk Clubs.

In Glasgow there are quite a few sessions. Ben Nevis bar on Argyll Street (fast Scottish session). Also Waxy's on a Sunday afternoon.