56 Key Lachenal Edeophone At Forthcoming Auction

Chris Drinkwater

There is a nice-looking 56 key Lachenal Edeophone coming up for auction in Birmingham on 17th July by Auctioneers Biddle and Webb. It doesn't say whether it is extended upwards or downwards but looking at an end view and the button layout, I think it is most likely to be an extended treble. Correct me if I am wrong. This is the description from the catalogue:

A Lachenal & Co 'The Edeophone' concertina, with black ebonized body with fretwork end sections with 56 buttons total, registration number 129662 and numbered 59351, housed in a later fitted case.

Estimate: 500 GBP - 700 GBP - A bargain at that price! £2500+ would be more like today's current value.

Here is the link: http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/biddle-and-webb/catalogue-id-srbid10048/lot-e921e108-5f2e-437b-8725-a4cd00f01ef4

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

It doesn't say whether it is extended upwards or downwards but looking at an end view and the button layout, I think it is most likely to be an extended treble. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm under the same impression, Chris.

(would be quite tempting if we were wrong, though)

Best wishes - Wolf

I wish it were a treble now that I've given up searching for a TT!

If it's not a TT, then it must be a treble... an "extended" treble, but still a treble. An extra half octave on top -- in what some folks refer to as "dog whistle" territory, -- but if you don't want to use them, you don't have to. (I do use them, though rarely, but I don't feel that I "need" them. I.e., I don't feel deprived when I'm playing a 48-button treble.)

It almost certainly weighs more and may even be larger than an equivalent 48-button Edeophone, but only by a smidgin. Would you really pass up such a high quality instrument in favor of one that doesn't play as well just because of that?

Edited to add: Of course, there's no guarantee that you could get this one for a bargain price. B)

Edited by JimLucas

£1500 plus buyers premium - Internet buyer

I know that the buyer's premium was 18.5%. How much was the VAT?

20% on the premium.

Since it was an Internet buyer, there's an additional premium of 3% (plus 20% VAT) paid to the hosting website.

OK. With the buyer's premium and VAT on the buyer's premium, that brings the price to 1833 pounds or $2860 USD. It appears that the buyer got it at a good price, but I don't know if that represents the current demand for Edeophones. I assumed that the 3% to the hosting web site was paid by the auctioneer.

OK. With the buyer's premium and VAT on the buyer's premium, that brings the price to 1833 pounds or $2860 USD. It appears that the buyer got it at a good price, but I don't know if that represents the current demand for Edeophones. I assumed that the 3% to the hosting web site was paid by the auctioneer.

3% plus VAT paid by the winning bidder.

Assuming that it'll need the usual resto work as a minimum, I think the price was reasonable. No bargain though IMO.

Assuming that it'll need the usual resto work as a minimum, I think the price was reasonable. No bargain though IMO.

Chris Algar's 48 button Ede's were around £2500 a couple of years ago.

If the buyer was not a UK (or EU?) resident then would the VAT be applicable?

No, though import taxes may apply.

...and possibly sort of an "Import VAT", such as in Germany.

If the buyer resides in the EU, then VAT is applicable, though after a recent discussion here of changing rules, I'm not sure whether it would be that of the UK or of the buyer's home country.

If the buyer resides in the US, there is no national sales tax (VAT) and local taxes shouldn't be applicable on international purchases, so only an import duty should apply, and (as noted in other recent threads) that should be much less than the UK's VAT. Add in shipping cost, and the total cash expense may not be too different between someone in the UK and someone in the US.

Chris Algar's 48 button Ede's were around £2500 a couple of years ago.

£2500 was my guesstimate in my initial posting!

Chris