A Proper Lachenal T-Shirt

I have been enjoying my little Lachenal anglo so much I decided to get a t-shirt done with the logo. A fine clean logo is on the museum page - many thanks to spindizzy & tallship!

I inverted the colors (black->white), made the background transparent, and collapsed to 2 colors. I am pleased with the results, I used one of the commercial online t-shirt services.

Sean

P.S. for the curious, these are the imagemagick commands I used on my Mac:

# inverse colors
$ convert lach_label5.jpg -negate lach_label5_blk.jpg

# make background transparent
$ convert lach_label5_blk.jpg -fuzz 60% -transparent black lach_label5_transp.png
# alternatively, change background color
$ convert lach_label5_blk.jpg -fuzz 60% -fill darkblue -opaque black lach_label5_blu.jpg

# collapse to 2 colors, no dithering
$ convert lach_label5_transp.png +dither -colors 2 lach_label5_transp_white.png

post-11621-0-01513300-1436390660_thumb.jpg

And you'll be offering these for sale when and for how much? Or through an online service like Zazzle or CafePress? Hope so!

I made some t-shirts a few years ago from an old Wheatstone advert, will have to post a photo (and see if there are still any extras).

Nice work!

Gary

And you'll be offering these for sale when and for how much? Or through an online service like Zazzle or CafePress? Hope so!

I'm afraid I'm busy enough without starting a new business venture... but here's the adjusted Lachenal logo you could use

I merely connected to Spreadshirt, uploaded the graphic, positioned it higher on the shirt. They have different printing processes based on the source graphic, this one was called "Digital Direct"

If anyone has a clean Wheatstone logo, I could adapt that one too

Sean

post-11621-0-12170800-1436429166_thumb.png

I did a Google image search and found our own Peter Dunk has done a good deal of the work on a Wheatstone label already ...

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14124

That, combined with a bit of time in a graphics package and Sean's advice on printing, and we could have a goer here!

I did a Google image search and found our own Peter Dunk has done a good deal of the work on a Wheatstone label already ...

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14124

That, combined with a bit of time in a graphics package and Sean's advice on printing, and we could have a goer here!

I've had a go... examples attached of Pete's cleaned logo (I believe original visual was from the Concertina Museum)

Tip: rename long filenames to short before uploading to t-shirt services

Sean

P.S. for reference (be not faint of heart), these are the imagemagick steps I ran to generate these files

# use imagemagick modulate to de-yellow image and white-threshold to bleach it further

$ convert WheatstoneEarlyLabel.png -modulate 168,0,0 -white-threshold 90% WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.png

# variant: generate multiple images with range of modulate values, helps select best value quickly

$ for BRIGHTNESS in $(jot 10 150 170) ; do convert WheatstoneEarlyLabel.png -modulate ${BRIGHTNESS},0,0 -white-threshold 90% WheatstoneEarlyLabel.${BRIGHTNESS},0,0.whitethresh90.png; done

# create a clean inner ellipse mask to replace logo's damaged one

$ convert -size 800x482 xc:none -fill none -stroke black -strokewidth 4 -draw "ellipse 400,240 346,173 0,360" Wheatstone_ellipse_only.png

# create mask for background area outside ellipse: extra step required since can't draw transparent ellipse directly

$ convert -size 800x482 xc:white -fill black -stroke black -strokewidth 4 -draw "ellipse 400,240 346,173 0,360" Wheatstone_ellipse_blkfill.png

# make oval/ellipse transparent

$ convert Wheatstone_ellipse_blkfill.png -fuzz 60% -transparent black Wheatstone_ellipse_nofill.png

# combine cleaned image and ellipse only, then resulting image with background mask

$ convert WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.png Wheatstone_ellipse_only.png -compose DstOut -composite WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.ellipse.png

$ convert WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.ellipse.png Wheatstone_ellipse_nofill.png -compose Screen -composite WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.ellipse_nofill_screen.png

# inverse colors

$ convert WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.ellipse_nofill_screen.png -negate WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.ellipse_nofill_screen.blk.png

# brighten up text

$ convert WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.ellipse_nofill_screen.blk.png -brightness-contrast 20,70 WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.ellipse_nofill_screen.blk.br-cr20,70.png

# make background transparent

$ convert WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.ellipse_nofill_screen.blk.br-cr20,70.png -fuzz 60% -transparent black WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.ellipse_nofill_screen.blk.br-cr20,70.transp.png

# collapse to 2 colors, no dithering

$ convert WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.ellipse_nofill_screen.blk.br-cr20,70.transp.png +dither -colors 2 WheatstoneEarlyLabel.168,0,0.whitethresh90.ellipse_nofill_screen.blk.br-cr20,70.transp_white.png

# apply mask to original logo image

$ convert WheatstoneEarlyLabel.png Wheatstone_ellipse_nofill.png -compose Screen -composite WheatstoneEarlyLabel.ellipse_nofill_screen.png

# make background area transparent

$ convert WheatstoneEarlyLabel.ellipse_nofill_screen.png -transparent white WheatstoneEarlyLabel.ellipse_nofill_screen.transp.png

post-11621-0-58266500-1436455488_thumb.png

post-11621-0-72710400-1436455489_thumb.png

post-11621-0-23074400-1436455491_thumb.png

post-11621-0-29405800-1436455493_thumb.png

Here's a photo of the Wheatstone shirt I made a couple of years ago from an old advert.

I also discovered I still have a few new ones left over, 3 Large and 1 Medium, 90% cotton. If you think there is enough interest, perhaps I'll post them on the Buy & Sell forum or eBay. If I have any more printed up, I'll check with Steve Dickinson first to make sure he's ok with it.

Gary

post-322-0-65187500-1436562452_thumb.jpg

Edited by gcoover

Nice work - but just wondering if there are any potential copyright issues? I don't think it's likely, but you never know.......... You're probably safe just getting one or two made for non-commercial personal use, but commercial copyright law can be a funny old thing.

Graham

Nice work - but just wondering if there are any potential copyright issues? I don't think it's likely, but you never know.......... You're probably safe just getting one or two made for non-commercial personal use, but commercial copyright law can be a funny old thing.

Graham, if you're talking about the "Wheatstone" image, it looks like one commonly found on Wheatstone price lists before 1900, so any potential copyright should have long since expired. :)

Graham

An appropriate question, when I had my Lachenal shirt made I figured no copyright claimant would materialize for a concern that went under in the 1930s... however Steve Dickinson might have a point of view about the old Wheatstone logo ;-)

Sean

And yes, although the Wheatstone graphic came from an old ad Steve Dickinson does own the "Wheatstone" trademark, so I've emailed him for permission and even offered the bribe of a few free shirts. Who knows, maybe he'll decide to add a line of "Wheatstone Wear" to his shop?

A few years ago a friend of mine created an amazing Guinness t-shirt, best I've ever seen, but instead of contacting the company he panicked and sold them off at a "pre-lawsuit special price". I still maintain he should sell the design to Guinness - it would be a huge hit.

Copyright and trademark issues are important parts of intellectual property law that support both companies and artists. Although I see a lot of music books (and online sources) freely including composed tunes, for my books I always make sure to get permission first, even for arrangements (since I know that's important in UK copyrights). And it's just nice to give credit where credit is due, especially in our little folk and concertina world!

Gary