Sticky Keys In Cold Weather

A few of my keys seem to stick when the weather gets a bit chilly! I resolved it for the most important one by using some graphite on the bushing, but it's happening to a few other keys too. Could replacing the springs help alleviate it? I suspect it's still using its original Lachenal springs; would new ones be more...springy? :D

I'm assuming the issue is likely caused by the metal being less springy when it's cold, as it's pretty consistent when the temperature drops a bit.

I haven't tried it on a concertina but use Protek Prolube on piano key pins.

Metal and felt... should be the same thing. Do some research first please.

Try on one of the worst keys then wait a few days.

Spray into a small cup then use a Q-tip to apply.

There's also "PTFE powder" which is applied with a small brush.

Edited by 4to5to6

Metal does not become noticeably less springy when cold. There is the Ductile to Brittle transition (DBT) temperature which I believe is something like -50C but I am sure this would not apply unless you are in the north poll! I wonder if the reeds would all snap at this point? Scary thought!!! The original brass Lachenal springs are not the greatest and I have had three break on me. Until they broke, they felt fine.

Only sticky when it's cold you say? You may have some old lubricant on the keys that is not cold friendly. You may just have to do a re-bush. Springs are a bit trickier as they have to placed correctly and tensioned properly for the action of each key to feel responsive and correct. I have to do a complete respring one day because of the broken ones. Jump in off the deep end...

A few of my keys seem to stick when the weather gets a bit chilly! I resolved it for the most important one by using some graphite on the bushing, but it's happening to a few other keys too. Could replacing the springs help alleviate it? I suspect it's still using its original Lachenal springs; would new ones be more...springy? :D

I'm assuming the issue is likely caused by the metal being less springy when it's cold, as it's pretty consistent when the temperature drops a bit.

I would have thought it more likely to be a rise in humidity, a result in the drop in temperature, causing the wool in the bushings to swell. Bushings can be compressed a little with a tapered pen (Parker biro) and check for verdigree on buttons.

I would not use any lubricants on sticky keys .

This cold weather stickiness is likely due to condensation which can cause the wooden parts to move or swell ... or if your climate tends towards excessive dryness with cold weather, this can cause wood shrinkage... effect.. the same where moving parts are a tight fit with mating surfaces.

You could check the 'fit' of the guide pins (at the lower end of the buttons) in the holes of the action board ( this is more likely a problem with a Wheaststone wooden button or a concertina with Bone or Ivory buttons.

Wooden 'fretted ' ends can also move with changes of weather causing alignment problems in the Button movement line.

Still, it could be lots of things from too tight a felt bushing to weak springs... best to analise carefully before throwing lubricants at it.