I Don't Know Where I'm Going...

My first foray into the world of Irish music....

https://soundcloud.com/aybee-anglo/i-dont-know-where-im-going

I don't really think I know where I'm going in the bridge section, but I was hoping to do it, Dylan style, on mouth organ. Unfortunately that's going to take a lot more practise :-)

The late, great Rory Gallagher used to come to our local hall every year when I was a teenager and always gave a hell of a show. I was a huge fan and have been wanting to do one of his songs for a very long time. Unlike most I've tried, I think this one goes quite well on concertina.

Adrian

Hey Adrian,

another inclination we share, and I'm much enjoying your cheerful and confident covering! Guess that Bullfrog Blues wouldn't suit the concertina likewise, but had thought about doing Going to my Hometown myself!

A great summer for you three as well, hoping to see you in autumn...!

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Yes Wolf, you´re right, when I listen to that song I´m really tempted to give it a try, what a great musician. But right now I concentrate on recording my first CD, like Adrian proposed.

All the best - Stefan

I wish you success then, Stefan - you deserve it!

...and am looking forward to hearing "Bullfrog Blues" from you at some point..., or I might join you on piano for that purpose next year in Drawehn... :)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Thanks a lot - glad you like it, it was a refreshing change for me after a good few months working on renaissance tunes and songs.

Stefan, you might even chose Bullfrog Blues (even prefer to I'd guess)... :D

Best wishes - Wolf

That was my immediate thought too... I tried "Tattooed Lady" for months, getting Susanna to play the solos, while I did the bass and rhythm parts, but it really has to have a drum pattern to do it any justice.

Yes Wolf, you´re right, when I listen to that song I´m really tempted to give it a try, what a great musician. But right now I concentrate on recording my first CD, like Adrian proposed.

All the best - Stefan

Perhaps we could do a "combined systems Rory session" next year - maybe we might even persuade Tim Collins to join us!

Good luck with your CD Stefan, I'm looking forward to hearing it already

Adrian

Oh yes, Wolf playing a wizzard blues solo on English while Adrian provides a pumping rythm on Anglo, I´d find something in between... Only for a session like that it would be worth to go to the German Concertina Meeting.

But unfortunately, that weekend in Germany, there´s the "Tanz in den Mai" where people go dancing into the 1st of May. I will almost surely play with my band (as a bassplayer) that night. :(

Thanks for the good wishes.

Oh yes, Wolf playing a wizzard blues solo on English while Adrian provides a pumping rythm on Anglo, I´d find something in between... Only for a session like that it would be worth to go to the German Concertina Meeting.

But unfortunately, that weekend in Germany, there´s the "Tanz in den Mai" where people go dancing into the 1st of May. I will almost surely play with my band (as a bassplayer) that night. :(

Thanks for the good wishes.

That's a shame Stefan - sounds like Wolf and I will have to come to Koeln sometime then :-)

Thanks Adrian. I enjoyed your recording. Great feel!

Thanks John, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

First impression was this sounds a bit jerky, a characteristic of the anglo I guess. I don't know Rory's music, had a quick look on Youtube. Bullfrog Blues, pretty rocky! Don't know... going, very 70's. Not sure it works really well on concer. No issues with the playing, very good, concer a bit loud sometimes to hear the lyrics. Just didn't quite do it for me. Just my opinion though.

Cheers Steve

Just a second thought, really nice to hear a (reasonably) contemporary song done with the concertina.

Edited by Steve Wilson

Hi Adrian,

First impression was this sounds a bit jerky, a characteristic of the anglo I guess. I don't know Rory's music, had a quick look on Youtube. Bullfrog Blues, pretty rocky! Don't know... going, very 70's. Not sure it works really well on concer. No issues with the playing, very good, concer a bit loud sometimes to hear the lyrics. Just didn't quite do it for me. Just my opinion though.

Cheers Steve

Just a second thought, really nice to hear a (reasonably) contemporary song done with the concertina.

Thanks for your feedback Steve - I was trying to make the syncopations clear and tight, but it really doesn't have to come out jerky on an anglo, so I probably just overdid it :-) As you say, the recording could have been a bit better and more balanced - I don't take enough care with that side of things and tend to just record without taking the time to test the mic position. They were all very helpful comments so thanks again.

Adrian

Hello Adrian

I enjoyed this but I do hear in your arrangement the persistent difficulty that I also have with songs that use that kind of countryish guitar rhythm. What I tend to do is make it just a little more sustained, both in the bass and the off-beat chording. I sometimes imitate fingerpicking patterns too. It's probably a little harder to do that on anglo than on duet but it can make it a little less "music hall" in feel.

That said, I think what you've done here works fine (and have no problem with the balance for a home recording)!

Hello Adrian

I enjoyed this but I do hear in your arrangement the persistent difficulty that I also have with songs that use that kind of countryish guitar rhythm. What I tend to do is make it just a little more sustained, both in the bass and the off-beat chording. I sometimes imitate fingerpicking patterns too. It's probably a little harder to do that on anglo than on duet but it can make it a little less "music hall" in feel.

That said, I think what you've done here works fine (and have no problem with the balance for a home recording)!

Thanks Stuart,

I guess "music hall" is my default setting for these kind of songs, but I'll try your suggestions and see if I can get another handle on it. It shouldn't be any more difficult on an Anglo than a duet, since most of my reversals only come at chord changes anyway. It's the same old problem with an instrument having no natural decay - lute music often gives me the same dilemmas about how long to hold and how to come off the note.

Cheers,

Adrian