Shipping From Germany To The Usa And Import Duties

What is the best or least expensive way to ship a concertina from Germany to the USA, and what is the import duty? How does the import duty get collected? There is probably plenty of shipping from the UK to the US, but does anybody have any experience shipping from Germany?

Haven't imported from Germany, but the general rules for imports should apply (a few countries, such as N. Korea, are exceptions).

This might be helpful: http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1000c92.pdf

Note that there is no duty on instruments over 100 years old. I think the rate for newer ones is 40%. When I had to pay duty, the carrier (in this case, DHL) paid the duty and they billed me.

Mike, I think 40% might be the rate on goods from North Korea and similar "unfriendly" countries (column 2 of your linked page).

Column 1 is, I believe, the relevant rate for goods from most countries.

This document is dated 5 years ago though, so things might have changed, but probably not dramatically.

There is an interactive worldwide duty calculator here http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/ which I assume is accurate and up to date....

There may be an admin fee as well, payable to the carrier for completing entry documents etc., usually a flat fee. However, using a postal service rather than a carrier may allow the addressee the option of completing the forms yourself, thereby avoiding that fee. (At least, that's what I was told by some one in the US I sent something to recently).

Edited by malcolm clapp

The instrument in question is a Wheatstone Model 21, serial 27031 - made 20.3.1916... So it will be 100 years old next year!

However the dutycalculator gave me zero duties for an accordion ( next best musical instrument ).