Please, Help With Dating

Dear Concertina Folk,

Could you help with dating of this instrument. If you`re inrerested, please post personal message. It`s very old but fully playable. Hasn`t got a case and need a repair. Warm and mellow sound) Inside is only R86

post-11600-0-33105000-1433422763_thumb.jpg

post-11600-0-16318800-1433422790_thumb.jpg

post-11600-0-36258100-1433422804_thumb.jpg

post-11600-0-98283800-1433422823_thumb.jpg

post-11600-0-04193600-1433422843_thumb.jpg

post-11600-0-03672000-1433422854_thumb.jpg

post-11600-0-60121100-1433422867_thumb.jpg

I would be interested in such an instrument but I dot have any idea what the price for such a unrestored instrument normally is. Best regards Johann

Me too) haven`t got any ideas about the price! This instrument isn`t still for sale now but just for understanding whats`it and how old is it...

Sorry, seeing the thread-name I couldn't help thinking of the response someone here (can't remember who it was) gave to a similar request years ago : 'Have you tried roses and chocolate?'

I'll get my coat..

Dear Peter, sorry for my language) but where you`ve found roses and where chocolate? If you`re able to help, do it please, if not....please talk much more understandable to non English-spoken people) my problem is that I`ve got nothing)))))

Edited by MarinaMoroshka

http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C104A/PAGES/C1P0050S.HTM- is it from this page or there isn`t information about the instrument at all?

No Marina, that R86 means Right side and Job number 86 ... so the 86 is a workshop number that all Wheaststones have as they pass through the factory and before they are alloted with a serial number at the end of production.

This is a rivetted reed model which would suggest a date of 1880 - 1890 (approximately)... the wooden bases to the buttons also suggest that sort of date.

The serial number would have been on a piece of paper that might have been glued into the little window on the left side or glued to a Baffle leather which is now missing.

I have a wheatstone with no visible number but I did find it stamped onto the inside face of the side frames in the joint between the Pallet board and the top. So an examonation of all the woodwork may yet reveal a number.

Happy Hunting,

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C104A/PAGES/C1P0050S.HTM- is it from this page or there isn`t information about the instrument at all?

No Marina, that R86 means Right side and Job number 86 ... so the 86 is a workshop number that all Wheaststones have as they pass through the factory and before they are alloted with a serial number at the end of production.

This is a rivetted reed model which would suggest a date of 1880 - 1890 (approximately)... the wooden bases to the buttons also suggest that sort of date.

The serial number would have been on a piece of paper that might have been glued into the little window on the left side or glued to a Baffle leather which is now missing.

I have a wheatstone with no visible number but I did find it stamped onto the inside face of the side frames in the joint between the Pallet board and the top. So an examonation of all the woodwork may yet reveal a number.

Happy Hunting,

Geoff.

Thanks a lot, Jeoff! The difficulty is that there isn`t a number anywhere !!!! It`s not the first instrument that I`ve seen!

I`ve got Wheatstone at home dating riveted reed period and know how it looks like outside and inside) If the number is lost there is the same number inside) left and right on the frame) Not this time with that instrument.

post-11600-0-51837100-1433436460_thumb.jpg

post-11600-0-28510800-1433436523.jpg

... that R86 means Right side and Job number 86 ... so the 86 is a workshop number that all Wheaststones have as they pass through the factory and before they are alloted with a serial number at the end of production.

Rivetted reed instruments were Wheatstone's normal production in the Edward Chidley senior years, from the mid 1860s until the mid 1890s, and the batch number in them is the last two digits of the serial number, so sometimes (especially if there's something distinctive about the instrument, and this one appears to have a cheap style of fretwork) it is possible to identify the instrument's number from the ledgers.