Another Ebay Scam

d.elliott

we got an email from 'ebay Safeharbor Department'

Fraud alert ID: 00626654

saying that our account had been used for fraudulent trading, and asking us to verify our personal information by a return email to a 'submit button' hidden site, or risk being closed off ebay within the next so many hours. We checked with ebay and got instant confirmation that this is an attempt to rip our email & ebay identities.

BE WARNED

Dave

I forward them all to 'spam@ebay.com'

I'll make note of that. I've gotten several fraudulent e-mails claiming to be from ebay. I've always just deleted them. Fortunately, I've never fallen for any of them.

I figured that if any of them were 'real,' then, they could just go ahead and close myaccount as they threatened to do. Of course, I would miss using ebay every now and then!

I've had a few of these myself, but not recently.  I forward them all to 'spam@ebay.com'

I always forward those to 'spoof@ebay.com'.

Also, I often get messages like that claiming to be from PayPal. You can forwrd those to 'spoof@PayPal.com'

Often the entire message is 1 image file that will take you to a different web site when you click on it.

Don't click on anything on those types of messages. I did a "right-click -->view source" to examine the html and JavaScript behind one a those message and found that it executes something residing at some third-party web address. So, even if you do not actually give anyone your address, clicking on the message could cause some kind of parasite or who-knows-what to get downloaded to your system or maybe grab information from your system.

Interesting. I wonder what the difference is at the ebay end. Mine always get addressed by them. Perhaps they forward the message to the correct area internally, or maybe bothe addresses end up with the same person. Concertina.

OK I just added that so that we can be somewhat relevant to c.net!

Another ebay scam!

I recently purchased a concertina on ebay. There was no problem dealing with the seller, however whist waiting for the 'tina to arrive, I was approached by another ebay member (Michael) who had just recieved an email offering him the same 'tina as a second bidder option. Michael was checking with me to see if the offer was real (It wasn't).

A few days later I received a similar offer on a tina' I had bid on but lost, offered to me at the price I had bid. The person offering wanted funds transfered directly bypassing ebay completely and appeared to have nothing in common with the original seller. I forwarded it to ebay but didn't get any reply.

Caveat Emptor!

Regards,

Gerry.

I think that scams are becoming increasingly common on Ebay which is a real shame as it is such a useful vehicle.

I suspect the level of scams is much higher than anyone realises and I've heard figures mentioned of up to 80% of transactions being fraudulent although I find that hard to believe. I do believe that many of the scams are probably being run by organised crime although I doubt Ebay will admit to that as it will scare many of their clients away.

I was approached by one scamster a few months ago about a concertina. I knew both the seller and buyer and therefore identified the scam straight away. I played along with them for a couple of weeks obtaining two email addresses, one in the UK and one on the West coast of the USA. I was also provided with an address in London close to where I was supposed to send my money via Western Union. I was pressed repeatedly for my name, address and ebay password.

Eventually I reported everything to Ebay, the police and to both of the ISP's. The lack of interest was mind-blowing, no-one seemed to give a damn. The only response from the Police was "tell them to get lost" or words to that effect. No wonder the criminal community is thriving in the face of such apathy!

Pete

• 2 months later...

Here we go again?

Look at the lovely crabb 40-button, then look at the zero feedback and the private bidder requirement.

I'm voting scam, but let's see. Anybody know the picture?

Sorry forgot to add item # - 5557097092

Edited by Paul Read

Here we go again?

Look at the lovely crabb 40-button, then look at the zero feedback and the private bidder requirement.

I'm voting scam, but let's see.  Anybody know the picture?

Sorry forgot to add item # - 5557097092

Definitely looks ike a scam to me!

I listed and sold this concertina in Nov 2004. The seller is not the same person/ username that bought the 'tina from me. I have contacted the buyer to confirm that he has not sold it to someone else, or that he is not selling it under a different name. Waiting for his reply.

Definitely looks ike  a scam to me!

I listed and sold this concertina in Nov 2004. The seller is not the same person/ username that bought the 'tina from me. I have contacted the buyer to confirm that he has not sold it to someone else, or that he is not selling it under a different name. Waiting for his reply.

The buyer confirmed that he still has the concertina and that it must be a scam. Will contact eBay.

Rgds

Not just ebay folks.....I received an urgent email from what appeared to be one of my credit card companys. They suspected unauthorized activity on my card and if I didn't act right away (by giving them passwords etc) my account would be suspended.

I reported this communication to police and the credit card company. Yes as has been mentioned here already, nobody but me seemed to be worried.

The technical term for this is called Phishing. They tell you they are "insert somebody here" and need your CC info, login info, whatever, or they will be forced to shut down your account. When you click the link, they have a fake page that looks just like ebay or whathaveyou (they sometimes have the ebay page show up behind it so the URL looks the same).

This is the most common internet scam out there today. Ebay may do nothing about it, heck, the local cops will ignore it. The FBI takes a good interest in it though. Catching Phishers often leads to rings of people selling stolen identities. This leads to headline grabbing arrests (and sometimes can ultimately be tenuously tied to terrorism and that wins HUGE brownie points at their offices).

If you get the scam, pass it on to the FBI. They will track down the people responsible.

Richard Ashkettle (back from a long hiatus from music and most of life)

Perhaps Pete ought to take his "police apathy" problem up with members of the Juduciary (or their wives) at his next trip to Dungworth.

See you there, weather depending

Geoff

I would love to mention it to hizonner weather permitting , but my lad's birthday treat tomorrow night comes first. It'll have to wait till the English Session at Rivelin Valley on Thursday night - hope to see you there, last month was a very pleasant "do", with some excellent musicians and some very good tunes.

(Paul - Sorry about the cryptic nature of the messages, one of our local number is a Judge and his good lady a police inspector - to mention no names)

Pete