Poll: Tune Of The Month, June 2015

Jim Besser

TOTM June 2015  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since I'll be away at a Morris ale, with uncertain connectivity, I'm posting this early. So you have lots of time to ponder which tune you'd most like to work on in June!

France: Last Chance Bourree

How about a nice bourree to start our June poll? The Last Chance Bouree (originally Il n'est plus temps) by Michel Pichon should work well on all concertina systems. It’s easy and loads of fun to play.

The Blowzabella version is great, of course.
Or how about this one?
And on melodeon, with percussion track.

Welsh: Cefn-Coed Polka:

The more of them I hear, the more I like Welsh tunes. At a session the other night, we played a bunch of Welsh polkas I never heard before. I promptly forgot all of them, but in my futile effort to find them I came across this one . Nice, huh?

Note that there are different versions of this tune. Here’s the great Brian Peters playing a different one that I like just as much. If this tune gets chosen, play the version you like the most - or play both!

German: Vedder Michel

It's a TOTM first: a tune from Germany, a sprightly Rheinländer from the north of the country. I heard it for the first time yesterday and can’t get it out of my head. Here's a sample. And another, sung version.

English: Orange in Bloom

We haven’t had a Morris dance tune in a TOTM poll for a while, so here’s one of my all-time favorites. Most renditions of Orange in Bloom on YouTube are the punchy Morris version - which I played for years and still love. But this is also a gorgeous tune when played smoother and more expressively.

Here’s a distinctly non-Morris arrangement on harp and guitar (the second tune in the set).

Here’s how it’s played for Morris, complete with the change to 4/4 for the last two choruses, done by English concertinist Jan Elliot, one of the best Morris musicians anywhere.

A lot of people also play this as a waltz - the Sherborne Waltz - and a fine waltz it is. Here’s Anahata doing both - the jig version for Morris and the Sherborne Waltz.

Edited by Jim Besser

The Last Chance Bouree (originally Il n'est plus temps) by Michel Pichon should work well on all concertina systems. It’s easy and loads of fun to play.

The Blowzabella video is not available/accessible.

It's a TOTM first: a tune from Germany, a sprightly Rheinländer from the north of the country. I heard it for the first time yesterday and can’t get it out of my head. Here's a sample. And another.

These links are both to the same video. Is there another one?

The Last Chance Bouree (originally Il n'est plus temps) by Michel Pichon should work well on all concertina systems. It’s easy and loads of fun to play.

It's a TOTM first: a tune from Germany, a sprightly Rheinländer from the north of the country. I heard it for the first time yesterday and can’t get it out of my head. Here's a sample. And another.

These links are both to the same video. Is there another one?

Must be a geographic thing - the Blowzabella link works in the US.

Duplicate Vedder Michel link - user error (mine). Sorry.

Must be a geographic thing - the Blowzabella link works in the US.

Interesting, considering they're a British group and I'm in Sweden at the moment.

We need FOUR months of June this year, because I like them all! :huh:

Naw, just add some "late" entries to the May 2015 Theme of the Month... "Runners Up". :D

or even the April Theme of the Month "Your Latest"