Tenth Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game - Slightly

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Timson, sir - are these Docklands Light Railway manoeuvres permitted?

I fear the consequences of the light railway opening up darkened corners of this hitherto arcane game.

I reckon it can very well be referred to the leading case of admitting the use of the overground lines during last year's game. Besides, both stops chosen are in fact underground. An arbitration thus shouldn't be too difficult!

Moreover, the objection appears to be much more about what this honorable Mr. Estell has to hide himself...

Edited by blue eyed sailor

I must say that the standard of play over the last few moves has really improved. Very exciting, a bit like the Wimbledon finals - which is fortuitous as Wimbledon is the only station to offer access to the Underground, the rail network and the Tramlink - all of which have now been ruled admissable. However, that would be too easy so I will attempt a strong serve to

Wimbledon, platform 6.

May I remind the chair, that it is the Follibus Interstringo adjudication of 1936 that comprehensively covers the use of DLR.

This also allows me a further move - this time to Stratford - with a tube intersect.

Edited by SteveS

Cockfosters

(Historical side-note: for some years local residents campaigned for a more genteel pronunciation - think Bucket/bouquet - but taking out the first syllable altogether proved too much for those of a sensitive disposition)

In Scotland, the common surname Cockburn is pronounced Co-burn, and the Berwickshire village of Cockburnspath is known locally as Co-path.

I know a John Cockburn, heart surgeon in Aberdeen, and there is no truth in the story that he was once announced as John Heartburn...

Did you mean to leave it open for the play of

Belsize Park?

A high-risk strategy and one I applaud.

I'll stay on the Northern line and take a couple of stops north to

Golders Green

Ah, that opens up a "reverse and diagonal" to Stamford Brook where one could walk down British Grove (formerly British School Lane) where Lachenal was building concertinas for our friend CW in the 1850s. I note in passing that British Grove was also where Linoleum was invented, and there is a continuing musical connection to British Grove Studios, owned and used by Mark Knopfler.

Edited by Paul_Hardy

a triad manoeuvre which I reckon to be unprecedented in this game....

You mean triad in the triple diagonals sense rather than the Chinese criminal gang sense, I take it? You may be right, but I'll have to check the MCC archives for a definitive ruling. I'll get back to you on that.

Maybe it has been my fault to not have confirmed this valid Interpretation of my former statements, which I'm able to positively catch up on now. Have the investigations resulted in some definite clarification? I'd be much obliged in case of a reply for which I give many thanks in advance. Yours respectfully - Lupus M.

Let's hope the sisters can avoid the ghosts of Mean Fiddlers at

Harlesden

Game-play is definitely intensifying. A couple of deft moves could put us into endgame.

" ....... "

I agree, clever but risky.

Chris

It is getting tricky.

That was a clever transfer from Victoria to Bakerloo lines.

I do believe that it gives licence to do a Bakerloo to Jubillee transfer, so I'll play

Bond Street

Bond Street

Shaken but not stirred, I'll nip on over to Shepherd's Bush

This is a most dangerous move, which may in fact catapult as in a parallel universe, with on the one hand proceeding on the Central line whereas in parallel I'd expect a move on the Hammersmith & City line.

In order to avert the danger I'm making a resolute centrifugal move to

Ealing Broadway

Maybe it has been my fault to not have confirmed this valid Interpretation of my former statements, which I'm able to positively catch up on now. Have the investigations resulted in some definite clarification? I'd be much obliged in case of a reply for which I give many thanks in advance.

Oh yes, sorry about that. We've had the builders in replacing a roof, which they've insisted on doing in accordance with the Waverley Rules of 1837 (no diagonals except on Thursdays) and you can imagine the confusion that has caused. Anyway, to the matter in hand.

Triads, of course, are a subset of quadrupads with all that implies. Hence your triad manoeuvre is indeed unusual because it manipulates quadrupad potentials whilst only invoking three diagonals. I've taken the liberty of writing this up and sending it to Mornington Crescent World for publication, giving you full credit. I imagine the Letters page of the following issue will be well worth a read.

Chris