Tenth Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game - Slightly

Well is it snorting, or BARKING? A perfectly acceptable move for a dogs body.

That reminds me of a London local newspaper headline some time ago

BARKING MAN

WEDS

TOOTING WOMAN

A tactical play of THEYDON BOIS from me. Samantha once got lost in the woods there, and ended up thoroughly coppiced.

Much as I would like to follow up the link from Barking to Tooting, Theydon Bois rules out Tooting Broadway, so instead I'll move to

Tooting Bec

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which enables me to play

OLD STREET

" ."

I'm glad to see that Samantha has been monitoring our progress.

I'll take that comment into consideration.

It's tempting to follow Old Street with New Cross, but Samantha has pointed out the dangers.

Instead, after consulting the dictionary, I'll play

Uxbridge

With abject apology for any offense committed against the intricate rules of this game, I venture to comment as a novice player. I draw on my long-unused knowledge of London arcana to call for a ruling on one player's use of a move to Balham. Noting the reference to the famous travelogue [pace, Peter Sellers], and being a somewhat rule-obsessed person, I thought it appropriate to to double check his reference. Voila!! The proper name of the place is "Balham - Gateway to the South." The first sentence of the travelogue is, ipso facto, a confirmation of its location outside the London Underground system, viz. "We enter Balham through the verdant grasslands of Battersea Park." It is thus obvious that one may enter Balham via -- and only via -- the grasslands, not via The Tube. This move is de facto suspect if not downright illegitimate.

I should mention that the full title of this contest is "Tenth Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game - Slightly Delayed". However should you prefer some other word in place of "Delayed" feel free to imply it.

Chris

My only regret is that Parcel Farce refused carriage to the second Balthazar.

Nicely done, Mr. Nighthawk. Perhaps you could rescue Samantha from the baggage collection while you're there?

Which allows me to propose one of Samantha's favourites:-

CLAPHAM JUNCTION

A tactical play of THEYDON BOIS from me. Samantha once got lost in the woods there, and ended up thoroughly coppiced.

To CrP. Your comment has considerable merit and shows some understanding of the detail of the game. I should say that context is everything, and the context here is Wimbledon. David clearly spotted the hidden diagonal leading from Wimbledon to Chingford via East Ham, Morden and Chester le Street - very well hidden as I say, so much so that many players would have gone to Hackney Wick, missing the fact that the hidden diagonal would immediately put them in nip. Selecting a southern gateway enabled David to sever the diagonal very cleanly and sets him up for a double reverse orbital later in the game.

I hope that clarifies the matter.

Chris

Edited to add PS: it isn't too late to join the game if you wish. I think everyone would be happy if I gave you a wild card - one of those pretty ones with a kitten doing something cute on it.

Edited by Chris Timson

With abject apology for any offense committed against the intricate rules of this game, I venture to comment as a novice player. I draw on my long-unused knowledge of London arcana to call for a ruling on one player's use of a move to Balham. Noting the reference to the famous travelogue [pace, Peter Sellers], and being a somewhat rule-obsessed person, I thought it appropriate to to double check his reference. Voila!! The proper name of the place is "Balham - Gateway to the South." The first sentence of the travelogue is, ipso facto, a confirmation of its location outside the London Underground system, viz. "We enter Balham through the verdant grasslands of Battersea Park." It is thus obvious that one may enter Balham via -- and only via -- the grasslands, not via The Tube. This move is de facto suspect if not downright illegitimate.

I should point out that the phrase "Balham - Gateway to the South" predates Frank Muir and Denis Norden's sketch, made famous by Peter Sellers.

It was coined as an advertising slogan by Southern Railway, following the opening of the tube station in 1926, see Wikipedia.

Therefore is it quite legitimate to arrive at Balham by tube, provided you don't try to leave by Southern Railway.

The Admin has received a report from this game - surely it was filed inadvertently, as he cannot imagine the ladies and gentlemen who play this (unfathomable to Yankees) sport would be anything other than very sporting! He therefore encourages you to proceed forthwith (since you are the only ones who know what is going on).

A friend.

I think everyone would be happy if I gave you a wild card - one of those pretty ones with a kitten doing something cute on it.

"Wild" card? It seems to me that such a card would be quite domestic.

Wild meaning peaceful just like bad meaning good. Sorry about that. Game jargon creeping in.

The Admin has received a report from this game - surely it was filed inadvertently, as he cannot imagine the ladies and gentlemen who play this (unfathomable to Yankees) sport would be anything other than very sporting! He therefore encourages you to proceed forthwith (since you are the only ones who know what is going on).

A friend.

I think a bit of forthwith proceeding would be desirable, ladies and gentlemen.

Chris

Right away, esteemed chairman.

The only reasonable response to David's play of Uxbridge is to go directly to

Cockfosters

- a station at which it is quite legitimate to arrive by tube, and very difficult to leave by water-cannon.

(Historical side-note: for some years local residents campaigned for a more genteel pronunciation - think Bucket/bouquet - but taking out the first syllable altogether proved too much for those of a sensitive disposition)

I think everyone would be happy if I gave you a wild card - one of those pretty ones with a kitten doing something cute on it.

"Wild" card? It seems to me that such a card would be quite domestic.

Wild meaning peaceful just like bad meaning good.

Ah, like our friend John.

Thanks for the clarification. (10 years on, I'm still very much a novice at MC.)

A friend.