Tenth Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game - Slightly

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a triad manoeuvre which I reckon to be unprecedented in this game....

You mean triad in the triple diagonals sense rather than the Chinese criminal gang sense, I take it? You may be right, but I'll have to check the MCC archives for a definitive ruling. I'll get back to you on that.

Chris

...which thus requires a reversal, via Earl's Court, to Wimbledon Park

The role of Earl's Court in our game has long been discussed. A lengthy treatise on the subject was written by the great Edwardian entrepreneur and owner of the world's first Knee Manufactory, Professor Harold Trousers, native of Halesowen. Unfortunately, when he was discovered to be a bigamist, all copies of his tome were gathered together and destroyed by his wives Pat and Ella.

Hmmmm... Time for a much more Conservative move.

By the power vested[*] in me by Baron Beeching of East Grinstead I order all London Underground and Overground stations closed immediately. Furthermore, all connecting track is to be torn up and sold to China so that they may continue to extend their own high speed rail network. The spot price for used steel is very low right now, but once one has decided to sell the family silver then one has to accept whatever is offered.

There. You are all in the sidings now.

[*] Don't ask how this happened, it involved secret handshakes and rolled up trousers.

I'm sorry Don, that's not a valid move. The Beeching Closure Manoeuvre has been outlawed since Kenneth Williams attempted to deploy it against Willie Rushton in a particularly tense game in 1983. Play was momentarily halted due to vitriol on the line, but quickly resumed thanks to Samantha and her wet wipes, resulting in the play of

MANSION HOUSE

I'm happy to confirm Stuart's comment and make it an official ruling. Don, your proposal to shut down the Underground and hence the game has been attempted at least twice a year since Maggie Thatcher came to power. Every time it crashed on the same reef - the incorruptibility of Mornington Crescent chairmenpersons. I am proud to say we would never accept a bribe to allow such a move (unless it had the backing of Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, of course, and even then only if they threw in knighthoods all round).

Chris

I'm sorry Don, that's not a valid move. The Beeching Closure Manoeuvre has been outlawed since Kenneth Williams attempted to deploy it against Willie Rushton in a particularly tense game in 1983. Play was momentarily halted due to vitriol on the line, but quickly resumed thanks to Samantha and her wet wipes, resulting in the play of

MANSION HOUSE

I'm happy to confirm Stuart's comment and make it an official ruling. Don, your proposal to shut down the Underground and hence the game has been attempted at least twice a year since Maggie Thatcher came to power. Every time it crashed on the same reef - the incorruptibility of Mornington Crescent chairmenpersons. I am proud to say we would never accept a bribe to allow such a move (unless it had the backing of Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, of course, and even then only if they threw in knighthoods all round).

Chris

I assume that the players of the game have been spending a restful Sabbath contemplating their next moves.

I would suggest that the correct place for anyone disrupting the game and disagreeing with our esteemed chairperson's rulings is

Tower Hill

where they can contemplate their fate with the ravens and the ghost of Anne Boleyn.

I would suggest that the correct place for anyone disrupting the game and disagreeing with our esteemed chairperson's rulings is

Tower Hill

where they can contemplate their fate with the ravens and the ghost of Anne Boleyn.

I'm going to scurry off to

Monument

and check out the view since its a nice day.