Tenth Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game - Slightly

Hi all,

Well, as discussed elsewhere, it is that time of the year again when we realise that Mr Wheatstone's birthday has passed and gone and where is the memorial Charles Wheatstone game, eh? Mea maxima culpa, as they say in the Latin version of the game. Indeed, my culpa runneth over.

Therefore in accordance with established tradition and canon law I declare myself chairman for this game - having purchased a new horn - and invite Mr David Corner, last year's winner (and, I believe, our only double winner) to set this year's special rules and parameters and make the first move.

Chris

PS may I remind all players that as a member in good standing of the MCC (Mornington Crescent Chairpersons) support organisation I am incorruptible and cannot be tempted by sizeable sums of money to change my mind on any rulings I might make, though I would welcome attempts to test that assertion as a form of quality control. Used unmarked notes only, please.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should mention that the full title of this contest is "Tenth Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game - Slightly Delayed". However should you prefer some other word in place of "Delayed" feel free to imply it.

Chris

I'm pleased to have the honour of starting the 10th Memorial game.

I've been reviewing previous games and found an excellent game in 2009 using the 1702 Waverley Rules.

I also note that there are some special ICA rules, including some special rules and variations for anglo players, the principle one of which was a requirement to reverse direction whenever the player moved below the line.

I propose that these also be incorporated, excluding any that clash with 1702 Waverley rules.

One more rule - the use of Boris Bikes is prohibited.

I was very tempted to break this rule in the 8th game, when the only way to get out of the net of diagonals seemed to be to grab a Boris Bike and cycle to Mornington Crescent.

If I set off from Edinburgh Waverley, I arrive at

King's Cross

so that is the starting point for this year's game.

Good luck to all the competitors!

PS With devolution, the SNP have been concentrating all their energy on Morningside Crescent, leaving the standard Mornington Crescent game unaffected.

Bah! Use of Boris Bikes prohibited in this game - this then prevents application of the most useful and often neglected Mop Addendum Rule.

Well in any case I'll have to play Farringdon by taking a lateral due west.

Edited by SteveS

Indeed it is. No problem there. On a totally unconnected subject, thanks for the bottle of Champagne, much appreciated by the Memsahib.

Chris

My only regret is that Parcel Farce refused carriage to the second Balthazar.

Has anyone noticed the potential gimbal-lock as a result of the move by StuartEstell? And so early in the game too. That could restrict movement in 2 dimensions only.

Edited by SteveS

As we are below the Northern Line, I shall try

Rayners Lane

I am, of course, an Anglo player, so referrig tn David's initial definition, the next move will need to use a reversal, for which, I think, Rayners Lane is well equipped.

Nick Oliver

Not sure if my initial move was actually too successful, since you fellow players all seem to have lapsed into silence - however I believe I don't have to blame myself for acting under the 1967 John Peel Exception Clause (JPEC) which explicitely allows the use of acoustic waves whilst underpassing renowned venues...