"crescent Games"?

Hey , aren't you guys always playing some goofy game in spring-- that I completely do not understand and figured I was too dense to realize was all blarney. It goes on and on about London subway stations...?? (can you tell i'm already getting bored sitting with my leg way high?? played concertina first time in 10 days-- that is the longest I've gone without playing since I've owned one). skipping a year?

I suspect you should take warning from the fate of Sir Harold Blathington-Skyte, the last person to call the matter "goofy". Found guilty under the provisions of the since repealed Mornington Crescent Anti-vilification Act 1893 he was exiled to Australia, still a fate worse than death in some circles, and while he returned to the Old Dart decades later he was never the same again.

OK, it's own-up time. We've played a game of Mornington Crescent for 10 years every February to commemorate that most notable player and inventor of the Mayfair Manoeuvre, Charles Wheatstone. The standard of play was always high (to the extent that match outcomes and statistics were reported in Stovell's!) but it seemed to me that interest was flagging the last couple of years and the games were taking months to reach a conclusion. So I thought I'd keep stumm this February and see if anyone noticed. It's taken three months ...

So, do people still want to play?

Chris

Hey , aren't you guys always playing some goofy game in spring-- that I completely do not understand and figured I was too dense to realize was all blarney. It goes on and on about London subway stations...?? (can you tell i'm already getting bored sitting with my leg way high?? played concertina first time in 10 days-- that is the longest I've gone without playing since I've owned one). skipping a year?

Shelly - the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjOsOB4erZI

Or the SatNav version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVszcAgsBxs

I hope that makes it all crystal clear!

OK, it's own-up time. We've played a game of Mornington Crescent for 10 years every February to commemorate that most notable player and inventor of the Mayfair Manoeuvre, Charles Wheatstone. The standard of play was always high (to the extent that match outcomes and statistics were reported in Stovell's!) but it seemed to me that interest was flagging the last couple of years and the games were taking months to reach a conclusion. So I thought I'd keep stumm this February and see if anyone noticed. It's taken three months ...

So, do people still want to play?

Chris

Pity if we wouldn't, now that I have reached a really deep and profound knowledge of the rules... :rolleyes:

> Calvinball

Had to look that up, to my shame. But Mornington Crescent pre-dates Calvinball by centuries (I think, please correct me on that if I'm wrong). It is very much a mental game, as both its supporters and detractors say. It depends on an encyclopaedic knowledge of the rules, variations, exceptions and contortions applicable to each move plus imaginative reach to steer an apt course. It has been said that the wide practice of this Game of Games is what has granted the Anglo-Saxon mind its exceptional abilities.

Chris

Edited to add PS: I've just looked at that Wicked-pedia article referenced above. I am shocked! Such inaccuracy and indeed falsehood! "Despite appearances, however, there are no rules to the game" - rubbish, Sir, absolute rubbish! Well, it's back to the Encyclopaedia Britannica for me!

Edited by Chris Timson

Edited to add PS: I've just looked at that Wicked-pedia article referenced above. I am shocked! Such inaccuracy and indeed falsehood! "Despite appearances, however, there are no rules to the game" - rubbish, Sir, absolute rubbish! Well, it's back to the Encyclopaedia Britannica for me!

well, in that case my comparison with Calvinball is inevitably both inappropriate and incorrect. May I offer my apologies and ask for a discreet and determined disregard of my earlier elaborations, then?

Too late.

You've already been called offsides... though in what game, I'm not sure. B)

Samantha will tolerate no off-colour jokes about being off-side, particularly by her gentleman-friends. And neither will Mrs. Trellis.

Probably not too fond of off-topic "humour", either. But I'll ask Samantha when I see her next... in about 10 days time. ;)

Samantha will tolerate no off-colour jokes about being off-side, particularly by her gentleman-friends. And neither will Mrs. Trellis.

Probably not too fond of off-topic "humour", either. But I'll ask Samantha when I see her next... in about 10 days time. ;)

Don't tell me - you're teaching her concertina: you squeeze while she plays with the buttons. Actually,I hear she's joined a concertina band. She's playing treble at the moment but she says she'd do anything for a tenner.

Don't tell me - you're teaching her concertina: you squeeze while she plays with the buttons. Actually,I hear she's joined a concertina band. She's playing treble at the moment but she says she'd do anything for a tenner.

She plays anglo (though primarily French horn) and hosts the annual Arran Concertina Event, which I believe celebrates its 11th year this coming October. :)

She plays anglo (though primarily French horn) and hosts the annual Arran Concertina Event, which I believe celebrates its 11th year this coming October. :)

I fear we are referring to different Samanthas, Jim.